1984 vf1000f timing change renewal help!!!

</font id=“Arial Black”></font id=“red”>Hi all, i have been asked by a friend of mine who owns a 1984 vf1000f and the engine has started to rattle on the timing chain side however he is looking for us to take on the job of changing it!!!, does anyone know what the job entail’s ie do we have to take the engine out or strip the cylinder heads off to do the timing chain tensioner or is there an easy way to replace it we are both qualified in the motortrade car wise but motorbikes are a different kettle of fish lolo. i hope someone can help us with this enquiry!!!.

cheers

tony

"IF IT AINT BROKE DONT TRY AND FIX IT!!!!"

hello…I’m no expert but here goes !.

Do you mean the cam chain ? and tensioner ?..If so then to change the cam chain tensioner is easy . Rocker covers off , and heads undo and remove the top cam wheel to release the tension completely on the tensioner blade and remove the tensioner blade. These are the outer facing blades for each
cylinder. Reverse precedure but obviously you then need to reset each camshift to their correct timing positions

Regards the cam chains…if they are knackered then as far as I know to change them, as they are one piece/endless you need to split the crankcases !!!. UNLESS you can get cam chain loose length. Apparently you used to be able to but not anymore:-(
I am at present rebuilding Vf 1000 FE and whilst heads off have contemplated seeing if i can source cam chain free length If it can be obtained then there is no need for splitting the cases. Just grind a link out, attach new length to end of old and remove old at same time as feed new into engine. Easy innit. Let me know please how you go on . This forum is dead quiet at the moment. My e-mail address is timhavard@btinternet.com.

Good luck…and get yourself the Clymer manual.

If not I may be able to send you procedure by post as my scanner is fooked at the moment :slight_smile:

Tim

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

hello tiny tim i am the mate of antnig who owns the 84 vf1000f. Thanks for your reply will be atempting it soon i hope. Av had the bike since march and it was sraight then but i went and dropped it at about 50mph-ish[:I] and twisted the nose fairing,dented the tank!!! broke the seat cowl and cracked the clutch cover engine casing. All that repaired now apart from the dent in the tank. Av got a geuine honda manual for it but it’s not very informative on the cam tensioner so may try and get the hymer one. Av done oil/filter change when replaced the casing, it had started to rattle before i dropped it. It seems to only do it when its cold and goes quiet once its warmed up. If it dosn’t stop it goes if i turn the engine off and then start it again!!

Hi…yes it will rattle at the start until the engine warms up that’s normal. You mustn’t labour the engine until its up to temperature and oil pressure is up. The cams don’t like it.
What oil you using ? It’s got to be top quality oil.

Again…where you from?

What mileage she done ?

Tim

Errr…contact me and I’ll send you the relevant section from the proper Honda workshop manual re the above.

Cheers Tim

e-mail addy timhavard@btinternet.com

We agree that if the cam chains were so worn that they need to be replaced that we would try and split the chain as the other alternative would require major out of frame engine surgery…

Thanks for all the info, my vf is red and black and is an original uk bike with 36k on the clock. Used silkolene oil. Generaly it’s in good nik but needs a little tidying wich i intend to do soon. I come from the northwest just outside Wigan. Me and a few mates normaly go for a ride at weekends weather and time permiting…Have owned a few bikes in my time and am enjoying my vf.
Tim is your scanner fixed or do you need my address to send me a copy from the manual?
Cheers Geoff

quote:
Originally posted by PAJ

We agree that if the cam chains were so worn that they need to be replaced that we would try and split the chain as the other alternative would require major out of frame engine surgery…

Don’t you need the engine out of the frame anyway…if the heads are coming off…at least for the rear head.?

quote:
Originally posted by ratty1812

Thanks for all the info, my vf is red and black and is an original uk bike with 36k on the clock. Used silkolene oil. Generaly it’s in good nik but needs a little tidying wich i intend to do soon. I come from the northwest just outside Wigan. Me and a few mates normaly go for a ride at weekends weather and time permiting…Have owned a few bikes in my time and am enjoying my vf.
Tim is your scanner fixed or do you need my address to send me a copy from the manual?
Cheers Geoff

My scanner has just gone in a skip!! 'Tis fooked. I can photocopy the relevant section and send it to you…no charge …no prob

Tim