cam holders.

hi everyone, on setting the valve clearances on my fe, using the cam lifting tool, i have noticed that when i remove the lifter on number 3 cylinder (exhaust),there is no gap left,whilst on all the other cylinders there is still a gap,but greatly reduced.Could this be an indication that the cam holder on number 3 cylinder is worn.the cam lobes are in perfect condition,there is a slight knocking noise from that cylinder,Has anyone else had any trouble like this [?]

quote:
Originally posted by vf pete

hi everyone, on setting the valve clearances on my fe, using the cam lifting tool, i have noticed that when i remove the lifter on number 3 cylinder (exhaust),there is no gap left,whilst on all the other cylinders there is still a gap,but greatly reduced.Could this be an indication that the cam holder on number 3 cylinder is worn.the cam lobes are in perfect condition,there is a slight knocking noise from that cylinder,Has anyone else had any trouble like this [?]

How do ar Pete…[;)]…have you actually had the camshafts out and refitted them following the expert step by step instruction in the Original Honda Manual and consequent Clymer manual?..I ask as there is a “sticky” thread at the top of the “In the Shed” Section highlighting the fact that the Instructions are wrong.[V] I discovered this when I ran into problems a few months back after rebuilding the engine and following the Workshop Instructions…They’re wrong matey. Read the “sticky” and /or give me a bell on 07845132361…and the number is bloody right and my phone does bloody work cos “ar lass” has just phoned me to say she is in Meadowhell buying essential things from Sales !!![:(][:(]

Tim.

hi tim, thanks for the reply.I did replace the cams about 12000 miles (10 years) ago, cant remember exactly how i did it,i think i marked all the chains and cogs ( think i also wired them together)so they went back in original position on reassembly…the bikes run ok since then…the thing ive noticed now is when setting number 3 exhaust clearances with the lifting tool,when you remove the tool theres next to no gap left,(its as if the tool is lifting the cam up higher in the holder than all the others,then when you remove the tool it drops back down closing the gap)…Anyhow that aside it runs reasonably ok like this,been out this aft, clocked a few miles up, seems ok, it just sounds a bit tappety on the rear cylinder although they are set correct?..also changed oil to putoline syntec 4,which has quietened every other rattel down, except the cam chains.supose what i should have done was taken the cam holders off and examined them at the time,…a job for another day.