carbs

While sorting the choke cable I discovered that while i can push the first (right hand most ) carb plastic slider up it doesnt go up when I rev the bike like the other three do So my guess is that is down on power because it is not getting all the cyls working together the thing is how do I fix it … is anyomne over anywhere near derbyshire who can have a look at it for me or tell me what to do to fix the problem ?

Sounds to me that you have a perished diaphram on one carb (CV carbs meaning Constant Vacuum )
this is very common on old bikes and you can still get them replaced today.
tank off,air box off, unscrew the top of the carb fit new one,
reverse order and done .

I wish I was near derbyshire but am in Norwich,Norfolk as I would fit it for nothing, its pretty easy job [:)]

Dave silver would get them and any good Honda dealer would be cheaper as no postage to collect.

If its split dont forget to check all the carb diaphragms.[:D]

Is there anyone closer than Me please

Lloyd

Thanks will see If I can get hold of one this week I hope this will explain its lack of performance recently theoretically it means the engine is running with sod all power from the front right cylinder and ought to help increase fuel efficiency once its done I might just change all four while its off

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs/japanese_carbs/Keihin_Hon_V45.htm great help in understanding carbs

you will know if they are perished cos the carb will not work.
save your money for more important thing that will come later without any doubt. and they are easy to change

lloyd[8D]

Sounds to me that you have a perished diaphram on one carb (CV carbs meaning Constant Vacuum )
this is very common on old bikes and you can still get them replaced today.
tank off,air box off, unscrew the top of the carb fit new one,
reverse order and done .

That was a joke right …???
Screws to the air box wouldnt undo three of them rounded heads off trying to get them undone, the front to carbs are right up against anopther streel strip so you cant get tat the furthest screws to undo them The damned Rubber tubes wont sit back in their grooves and trying to line up the four guids to get it back together again … grrrrr I spent 4 hours just taking the damned thing apart realising I couldnt get to the front most screws and then struggled to get the thing back together so I could ride it home … If Thtas what a bastard to work in its going to be I will just sell the !!! THING BECAUSE i CANT STRUGGLE FOR HOURS LIKE THAT GETTING JOBS THAT OPUGHT TO BE SIMPLE DONE WITH MY BACK HURTING THE WAY IT DOES NOW… i HAVE NEVER KNOWN SUCH A DAMNED ****t OF A JOB ON A BIKE …grrrrr ok you can take your fingers out of your ears now …

After reading you latest reply the first thing that surprised me was you where not at home doing this job of replacing one diaphram.
there is a saying that nothings straight simple( of mice and men oops (hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy)Expect the unexpected,or shit happens most of the time.screw heads allways round off mostly from poorly fitting screwdrivers pozi or Phillips head screwdrivers.[}:)]

[:(]back to the bol-dor
I looked at the frames on the vf1000fe and the Bol-Dor and they are very much the same design so there should not be much of a difference between them.
personally most people would run a mile to not work on a v-four.
When I got my bike it was a mess and I had to replace the rubbers on the heads and I was not looking forward to that job but now it done all I can think is what a hell of a learning curve an now today I dont flinch at them.
Over the years I came up against plenty of rusted and rounded of screws and bolts so I think the next one is sure enough going to be a b****.

You need experienced help

Lloyd

njned a bloody psychiatrist … The rubbers wouldnt sit in the grooves so wouldnt make an air seal has to slacken the screws all off again and try angain and nothing seemed to line up and I was at my old house on the drive but danielle has a pulled muscle and me having a bad back and a groin injury tackling the job was probably a bit optimistic but if the Carb top had been accessible it would have vbeenb worth it but whn you look and keep seeing more an dmore stuff that needs stripping off before you canb get at the bit you want it just getd demoralising … was all set ofr jucjking a rug over it and leaving it but then thought klnowing my luck it will rain all week if I do that and the bike will be blocking the drive when the ex gets back off holiday and she wont be amused
Anyway will have to leave it until someone else can help sort it Just obviously not mechanically tooled up enough to do this job .,and even the screw driver bits broke up while I was trying to undo one of the screws… so thats something else that now needs ordering from David Silvers… a new set of air box screws, grrrrr

and some better quality screwdriver bits!

Radical, I have just been through the same experience you have but I came out the other side smiling (coz I,m bloody obstinate )
The job is VERY tricky but worth it if you can stick with it.

Where in the UK are you fella - I might be able to help . 07970 110251

Martin

hi, im i right in thinking your removing the aluminium plate which forms the bottom of the air box from the carbs while the carbs are still attached to the bike, and its the carb trumpets that wont sit in the grooves properly, if so, your making life difficult for yourself.

if you do need to remove the carbs from the bike you should allways remove them as a complete unit still attached to the ally bottom of the airbox, all you need to do is slacken all the jubilee clips which fasten the carbs to the cylinders then either pull upwards and back wards, or carefully prize the carbs from the cylinders (front first)
The carb inlet rubbers will probably have gone hard which will make getting them back on a little more tricky than normal, a little grease normally helps,(or buy new from silvers, still available i think).

The carb trumpets for some reason allways shrink, if you put them in a pan of boiling water they normally expand back to there original size for long enough to re-fix them…

hope this helps a little, where in derbyshire are you located.

Didnt really want to have to tackle all the throttle linkages in taking the whole thing off but not knowing what the hell i was doing It seemed that drilling down a bit at a time would get the job done … clearly not !

Why was this the only vf 1000 series they did in boring red or even more boring silver…? It would be nice to see it if Rothmans colours

yea but its got twin headlights and that is sub zero cool[:D]

Just contemplating putting brighter bulbs in mine when they eventually get round to giving me some money to live on … Would be really nice to be able to see where I am going at night… Even on full beam these lights leave a lot to be desired

a few weeks ago I came home late and to be honest the headlight sucks but thats because I drive a Ford Transit and when you put the lights on it reaches about a mile so you see everything everywhere and its 120wats on low beam[}:)]

Only day riding for Me now ,Too old and scared and its to fast[:)]

Radical, no need to thank me for my offer of help mate - I know how to respond next time you seem to be in a bad way. Just ignore you. [:o)]

quote:
Originally posted by Marmite

Radical, no need to thank me for my offer of help mate - I know how to respond next time you seem to be in a bad way. Just ignore you. [:o)]

AYE Run away … probably the best bet you will be in good company … But I might just have the means to get some of this work done before too much longer, hope to have it sorted before thre winter sents in and I cant try it all out … Its hard trying to get a knee down on the RT,iMPOSSIBLE IN FACT …