Early FE 2nd gear woes.

Can anyone shed light on what the failure/problem is, if any. I have heard 2nd gear was modded on later models. Are the modded parts interchangeable, ie would FF parts in an fe gearbox be a possible solution?[?]

Hi there,
the problem would appear not to be the second gear cogs themselves but a problem with the splines on the countershaft which was actualy a VF750 part.FF models were fitted with a new shaft part no.23220-MB6-680.There are no problems doing a swap.
Regards BIF

quote:
Originally posted by bif

Hi there,
the problem would appear not to be the second gear cogs themselves but a problem with the splines on the countershaft which was actualy a VF750 part.FF models were fitted with a new shaft part no.23220-MB6-680.There are no problems doing a swap.
Regards BIF

bif matey…I bow to your extensive knowledge of all things VF 1000

Nice one…

[8D][8D]

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

Thanks for the info bif[;)]. All very usefull information. But do you know what actually happens to the splines? Did they break up or wear down? Was it only the shaft splines or the gear splines also? Do you think the 750 part couldn’t handle the 1000s extra torque? And how did it feel riding a bike with this failure? Would it baulk 2nd gear or jump out or what? Basically, what should I look for when I strip the motor. Any info greatly appreciated.

Dunno what it felt like to ride but when I stripped the motor I bought with “the second gear problem” as the previous owner described it, I found the splines on the countershaft had worn so that they were stepped.All the other components in the gearbox were servicable and work fine with a replacement shaft.
regards BIF

Calling bif! Regarding these countershaft part numbers. I got an email from Dave Silver Spares on the topic. They say that the early FE part, number 23220-MB6-010, was superseded by a part, number 23220-MB6-020. They added that it does not supersede up to the FF part number 23220-MB6-680, which was for the FF and FG models. I presume the number ending 010 is the early VF750 derived part. Are you sure the FF part will fit?? Have you done it?(Cos he has both in stock,early original part and later FF/FG part)
Sorry to be a pain!

Sorry about the delay my hard drive crashed so I have been out of action.The MB6-010 that Dave Silver lists was origionaly an MB2 part the afore mentioned VF750 part fitted on engines up to serial no.2011465.The revised part 23220-MB2-020 was fitted to engines 2011466 onwards.The 02 in the latter part of the part number indicates it is a modified part.So is your engine pre 2011466?Do you have “the second gear problem”?Are you about to strip the engine for any other reason?The part no. wont supersede up to the FF part as it is a different model.I encountered no problems doing the swap.Regards BIF

Thanks for the reply bif. My engine number is 2001622, so it’s an early one with the 750 derived part. Before I removed the motor I only ran it on its stand and checked it selected all gears up and down, but I put no real load on it. The motor is going to be stripped down once my workshop is completed for a full inspection and rebuild. I would rather play safe and buy/fit the improved countershaft as a preventative measure if it’s a known weakness. I assume the 020/FE would be just as good as the later 680/FF part? There’s no difference in price.
Thank again bif.

I would go with the modified FE part in that case.Keep us posted with your progress Scratcher regards BIF

Bugger!!! Just checked again on Dave Silvers site and he has the 010 type and the 680 type. Not the 020 version! Think I’m gonna have to go with the 680 then, if you had no probs ,eh bif?