electricery.

following on from my recent saga in (no petrol)…Has any one ever had a faulty regulator/rectifier…I ask because i seem to be getting a few electrical faults, all of which could be caused by diferent things…someone once told me that if the rectifier failed it could cause the tacho and other electrical components to act strangley…can the rectifier be tested?

pete…

The rectifier/regulator can fail in a number of different ways… One of these is when the diodes in the rectifier short out and AC current is allowed to flow into the bike’s DC circuitry… This can show up as all kinds of problems with the bikes electronics…

The Honda manual has a full description of how to test the rec/reg unit and you can buy a multimeter from Maplins, etc, for under £10…

BTW: The MOST common fault with the rec/reg unit is with the wiring… Check the alternator connector (3 yellow wires) It has a tendency to melt and cause all sorts of problems - some of them quite expensive…!! If you find problems and don’t have the tools/skills to fix it properly yourself, then DON’T bodge it 'cos an electrical fire between your thighs often offends…[:D]

HTH

Miti

quote:
Originally posted by vf pete

following on from my recent saga in (no petrol)…Has any one ever had a faulty regulator/rectifier…I ask because i seem to be getting a few electrical faults, all of which could be caused by diferent things…someone once told me that if the rectifier failed it could cause the tacho and other electrical components to act strangley…can the rectifier be tested?

pete…

Hiya Pete…still haven’t got 'round to arranging a meet…too busy riding and enjoying this wonderful Summer weather !!![:D][:D][:D]

Reg/rec you think eh?..Had mine go on the Blackbird in July…pretty bloody dcary late at night coming over Saddleworth Moor…just caught out of the corner of my eye the rev counter…“Coulda sworn it blipped”…then again and a bit more pronounced…Oh eck I thought ( well, I would think that being in Yorkshire eh[;)]…I knew from other peeps stories that the reg/rec was on its way and during the ride back to Sheffield it got worse…then the speedo started zeroing and picking back up…then packing in altogether. Ended up limping home on a bloody sidelight and keeping the revs right up as it was cutting out at low speed/revs. Once onto the drive after a hairy bloody tide she packed in altogether…battery flat as a fart. Once recharged I tested reg/rec by measuring the voltage across the battery when on tickover and then on 4 and a half thousand revs…Voltage erratic and never above 13…put the new reg/rec on and tested that and voltage constant at 14/15 volts.

What other faults are you getting then Pete…?,and have you fitted that oil mod yet cos if you haven’t I would like to have a look, take some pics, measurements as I could get one made at work for nowt…[8D]

hi tim/miti, the three yelloy wires has melted the conector block where it joins the harness, the other electrical faults, right hand indicators sometimes fails to work,rev counter sometimes refuses to drop back to zero when switched off, thus when you restart engin it reads about 1000revs higher than it should,and the issue of the bike cutting out, when you restart it theres probably one or two cylinders missing…the rev counter has been kleened twice,cant see anything in there which could phisicaly stop the needle from returning properly…there was also the petrol pump relay issue…all these probs have probably other simpler causes but i just wondered weather there could be one common fault…

ps.tim, have not fitted the top end oiler yet, so if you wonna pop round and hve a look your welcome,just give us a bell first…

pete…

quote:
Originally posted by vf pete

hi tim/miti, the three yelloy wires has melted the conector block where it joins the harness, the other electrical faults, right hand indicators sometimes fails to work,rev counter sometimes refuses to drop back to zero when switched off, thus when you restart engin it reads about 1000revs higher than it should,and the issue of the bike cutting out, when you restart it theres probably one or two cylinders missing…the rev counter has been kleened twice,cant see anything in there which could phisicaly stop the needle from returning properly…there was also the petrol pump relay issue…all these probs have probably other simpler causes but i just wondered weather there could be one common fault…

ps.tim, have not fitted the top end oiler yet, so if you wonna pop round and hve a look your welcome,just give us a bell first…

pete…

Pete

You need to fit a new connector on that alternator harness… Try http://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk You want their MC3 multi-connector… The terminals are crimp on and you need special crimping tools to do this… Pliers will NOT do…

The indicator problem is caused by the LHS switchgear… They all play up eventually… You need to take the switch off the handbras and flood the inside with a good quality electrical contact cleaner/lubricant (NOT WD 40, I said GOOD quality…) Try this stuff: http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Contact_Cleaner_4153/Contact_Cleaner_4153.htm Spray it on and manipulate the switch lots… Do the other side too… It can’t hurt any…

If the rev counter isn’t zeroing with the main switch off, it’s almost certainly the hair-spring on the mechanism… Next time it sticks, disconnect the battery… Still stuck…? It ain’t electrical then is it…? That contact cleaner/lubricant will also work on the tacho needle bearings… Might be worth a go…?

The fuel pump probs I described (at painful length) in the No Petrol thread, so there y’go… Old Bikes Eh…? Who’d feckin have one…??[:D]