Forum introduction

Hi everybody

My name is Rod I live in west Yorkshire I’m 52 years of age and I’m a industrial Sprayer,
I’ve just bought a 1987 vf1000r basket case in Rothmans colours to restore to its former glory so I would be thankful for any advice you guys can give I have hit my first snag no key number on ignition barrel so wondered if anybody knows how to get the key number elsewhere ? And I would like to know if my vf is a uk spec or from elsewhere as log book says it’s been overseas and only registered in the uk in 1997 the frame number is sc162200023

Cheers RodScreenshot_20200212-184840_eBay

Remove the helmet lock (if still present). You might get lucky and it matches the gas cap.

As far as the ignition, I thought even aftermarket switches had the key number stamped.

If you get stuck Rod I have a full lockset and 2 keys

Hi rod, where about in west Yorkshire are you? There are a couple of members around the Leeds area who may be able to help you in your restoration and if your closer to Manchester then I’m not too far away in liverpool.

Garyb

Hi rod, nice buy, so in a few months we will be seeing another vf1000r scooting about in yorkshire then, the lock numbers, if its genuine are usually on the face that bolts onto yoke or just below, where the steering lock tongue comes out, very small writing.

On the fuel cap they are under the bracket .

Hi guys

I dont have a helmet lock with bike but i am still finding bits and pieces in the boxes I live in south kirkby pontefract if anyone is out my way

Rod

Welcome to the Forum Rod!

Frame number suggests it could be French or German - Bif will know for sure.

Hi rod,
Your right in the vf1000 hot bed, I’m located in royston, there are a number of vf’s in the area…

Hi vf pete

Awesome local knowledge always good just got a message from colour magic at castleford my frame and wheels are ready, so the rebuild can now start I will provide pictures as I goIMG-20200213-WA0003

2 Likes

IMG-20200213-WA0002

Hi Rod,I’m the guy you outbid by £20 for this R.
Really pleased it’s gone to someone who wants restore rather than break for parts.
The bike originally had a single headlight which narrows it down to Switzerland,Italy or Finland if memory serves.Check the carbs for a serial number
it will start with VD then two numbers followed by two letters,that will narrow down the original market.
Best regards Bif

1 Like

Hi bif

Thanks for that I will check that when I get in and I will let you know

Cheers Rod

20200214_144141

Pete, is that royston vassey? A local village for local people!

2 Likes

Yes gary, Papa Lazarou lives over the road :joy:

1 Like

Just a few bits bead blasted and painted this week more to follow next week20200215_104355

2 Likes

Good progress being made then rob :+1:

Your bike may have spent some time abroad but it is actually a U.K. market frame and carbs.
UK frames ran from SC16-2200001-2200500

1 Like

Cheers guys

Thanks for the update bif over the moon with now knowing it’s a uk bike and yes making progress I am hoping to have all the parts for rolling chasis bead blasted and resprayed and finished for the end of March and rebuilt

Aye up Rod, I’m just up the road in Fitzwilliam, not for from Pete in Royston.