Front Fork

Hello. I’m looking for a front fork leg, and eventually found one. But I need to know if the fork legs are the same in VF1000F2, and VF1000F or VF1000R. Can someone help me out here ?[:)]

No Fe forks have a different front mudguard mount point ( 16" whl ) to the Ff & F2 forks ( 18" whl ) but otherwise the same.

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

I’ve picked up a set of FF forks and an 18" front wheel to fit to my FE… The stanchions on the FF forks are badly marked up (they were free)

Does anyone know if the FF fork sliders will fit the FE stanchions…? I have the FF mudguard too and if I can chop/change the sliders I can fit this front end for the cost of a set of seals and some forks… Might stop the darn thing turning under itself in the wet stuff…!!

Miti

MITI-BABE
Sunny Scotland - North(ish)
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Hi Miti,there are detail differences between FE and later model fork internals but all the FE parts will fit the FF sliders.Fitting the 18" wheel will drasticaly alter the front steering geometry by raising the front of the bike by 3/4".The FF/F2 has a longer swinging arm too giving it a wheelbase 2" longer than the FE.All that said if it costs nothing to try,why not? We would be very interested to hear your results.
regards BIF

quote:
Originally posted by bif

Hi Miti,there are detail differences between FE and later model fork internals but all the FE parts will fit the FF sliders.Fitting the 18" wheel will drasticaly alter the front steering geometry by raising the front of the bike by 3/4".The FF/F2 has a longer swinging arm too giving it a wheelbase 2" longer than the FE.All that said if it costs nothing to try,why not? We would be very interested to hear your results.
regards BIF

Thanks for the info… I’ll give it a try then… I’ve had some difficulties coming to terms with the 16" wheel and have unceremoniously dumped the old girl twice in the wet… Both incidents involved me slowing down in a line of traffic, from not a lot of speed, and the front wheel locking and turning under the bike… Both incidents resulted in me breaking my little finger (both side now!) and various mainor repairs being required to the bike (brand new silencers well dented first time…!!)

I’m hoping that the 18" wheel will be more stable and more suitable for my riding (crashing?) style…

Also… I’m in the process of converting my old XS1100 from 19" front wheel to 18"… also just to see what happens… You want to try getting off an XS11 and then riding a VF1000… Talk about chalk and cheese!! They’re both damn good fun, just in different ways…

I’ll keep you posted…

Miti

MITI-BABE
Sunny Scotland - North(ish)
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)