Improving the brakes

Did a quick check with an old Kawasaki banjo bolt, which was also M10x1 and you are indeed correct.

Pressure operated banjo bolt brake light switch on the on the way.

Finally got the pressure switch

Installed it all today. It bled up pretty easily and feels good at the lever.

The bleed nipple on the master cylinder makes a big difference in getting it bled.

Going to be tomorrow before I get a chance to go out on it, but so far so good.

UPDATE:
did a final bleed this morning, having had the lever tied back over night.
Good pressure at the lever and a decent static feel.

It all looks good, too, IMHO.

So, I took it out for a spin and the verdict is reasonable.

Essentially, it gives me the same kind of action with a two-finger pull as the old set up seemed to do with a three-finger pull.

However, it does seem to build the pressure better, as in, a longer, sustained pressure increase seems to result in progressively better effect. I think the additional leverage the radial set up gives allows you to get more force into it, overt the old one where you felt like you were pulling hard (fnarr!) but weren’t actually getting more from it.

Now, it is not night and day, but for the cost of it, it is a better improvement that the carbon ceramic pads over the Bremo HH ones.

Looks good do you have a link to the master cylinder thanks

Here we go:

I got the 17.5 one.

Just a note though, the banjo bolt thread size is the standard M10 x 1.25.

Thanks for that

Update: After commuting for a week, I may have been a little unappreciative previously.

That hard jump on the brakes for short off ramps on the motorway, or dragging it up from cruise for a traffic jam, is vastly improved.

Before, when you gave it a good squeeze, it did not seem to build braking force progressively. It seemed that you got a certain level of retardation and no matter how hard you squeezed, it did not seem to produce more.

The radial MC seems to give you that extra effort back in real feel. I’d not say they now feel like modern opposed four piston callipers, but they now at least allow you to ride it like they do.

And it is all with two finger effort. In all, I would say I have now got the OEM callipers performing about as well as they can.

I’m happy with that.

2 Likes