New here with a bunch of questions

I believe a VFR starter is a direct fit, someone here who has done it will most likely explain the terminals are not quite in the same place, but will still work.

Thanks for the info. so, an RC36 starter should fit. But I’ve read about issues with starters turning the wrong direction. Which is right or more precisely: What does “turning right” mean? clockwise if I look on the shaft side? Which direction is right?
However, I am not totally sure, that mine is dead. How can I measure it? It looks quite normal and does not smell burnt.

Someone else here can probably confirm this, but I believe the shaft drive engines rotate the opposite direction to the chain drive engines, RC36 should fit your bike as far as I know Hans.

hi hans, looking at the photo’s of the cams on ebay i would say they are off of the earlier fe model rather than the later f2, heres a pic below showing the difference in length between the fe and the f2 wider head model

the top one is f2, bottom is fe.

[/URL][/img]

Thanks for the info. I’ll see, what I can get.

Can anyone please give more information about the starter? Which one fits plug&play? Needs the one for the RC36 modifications? AFAIK the RC36 was also cam-driven. How do I detect the correct turning direction? Isn’t there any way to check/measure what exactly ist damged with my starter?

hi hans, this may help…

http://forum.vf1000.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=960

Tanks. I’ve ordered a RC36 starter from ebay. Let’s see…
I’ve also ordered the valvecover-bolt. Delivery will take about 2 weeks and the price is 12€…for a screw. :frowning:

Because I’ve read a lot of scary things in this board concerning the cam chain tensioners, I think I’ll check theese too as long as they are still accessable pretty easy. I’ll have to wait for the starter and bolt anyways.
Finally, I got the missing airbox-cover from ebay. I’ve also got a new question concerning the airbox: Both, the new and the old one have three little holes ~1-2mm in the bottom. Is this normal? First I thought, someone drilled them into the old box, but the new one has them too. Should be no Problem to close them with little screws, but my question is, if this is the stock condition.

Thanks for help!

Another question concerning the engine fairing: The lower cowl was mising on my bike and now I’m wondering if one from the VF750F or the Vf1000F2 would fit. A paintjob would not be that much of a problem. Do they physically fit in? I got a feeling that the ones from the Vf750 are a lot easier/cheaper to get.

A while back Dave Silver was listing the lower faring for an FE. I remember this as I needed a new lower faring for my F2f but on checking against the part diagrams they are not compatible. I also remember seeing someone in Denmark had a stock of new VF starters - I’ll try and find the contact details.

Found it:
info@vf-rep.dk

quote:
Originally posted by cmdvimes

Found it:
info@vf-rep.dk

Tanks a lot. I’ll try the one from the RC36 first. Still have to wait for the valvecover bolt…

I’ve also discovered, that one of the plugs of the charge-controller (correct word? I mean the electric device with the cooling fins next to the fuel pump) has been melted and repaired very sloppy. There are two plugs. The melted one has three pins. I thought I could replace the melted connection with some like theese:

The plug ends are soldered to the wires. Would that be ok? Can anyboby tell me wich wires have to meet? I don’t get it from the diagram.

Hi Hans, I have read your postings and I’m also a new owner of a VF1000F and I’m near Baden-Baden. [:D]
If you like to contact me, please answer me. Maybe we both have a lot of to discuss like pittings on cams.[V]

regards
Norbert

Hallo Norbert. Maile mir mal an gambulputti(a)googlemail.com Wäre schöen, wenn wir uns direkter Austauschen könnten.

Today, I’ve recieved the RC36 starter, I’ve orderen. Unfortunately, it has 9 teeth on the shaft. AFAIK there should be 10. :frowning: I’m a little confused about this starter thing, because there are a lot of sources telling different things about the number of teeth and the rotation direction. I’ll see, if I get to my workshop later and check this. Can anyone say for sure, which VFR starter might fit in? The one I got was from a RC36. I have no information about it’s year and AFAIK there where some changes made during the RC36 evolution.

It’s been a while now, but a I had some private troubles and no time to continue an the VF.
I’ve hab a large success on wednesday: The starter from an RC 24 I had bought on ebay fits perfectly and turns in the right direction (clockwise).
I attached the battery from my other bike, filled up oil and water and checked the electrics. For my surprise everything works! I’ve also jumpered the fuelpump and it works too. Unfortunatly I hab no fuel by the hand and was running out of time but hopefully I can start the beast on thursday. I’m also still waiting for one of the rear headcover bolts I broke.

G’day Hans, how did it go?

Cheers William.

Hi,

nice to know someone’s still reading. I got a lot of other trouble the past days but yesterday I had the chance to try a startup. To make it short: No success yet. The fuel pum works well and the carbs also do what they are meant to, but there is no spark. The sparkplugs are wet with fuel.
I’ll go get some new ones today. I wanted to change them anyway but I do not believe that all four sparkplugs are dead. I fear it’s a problem with the electrics, which is pretty bad for me, because I totally hate wires. :slight_smile:
The first to things I want to check are the Kill-Switch on the right handlebar and the neutral-switch. The neutral-control lamp works.

Where can I start the search and how should I work? I’m really a noob to troubleshooting ignition electrics. :slight_smile: Please help!

Hey there,

if anyone is still reading: I did some checks the other day and I’m pretty sure thar one of pulse generators is the problem. Cylinder 2 and 4 are sparking whereas 1 and 3 are dead. The resistance of the pulse generator for 1 and 3 is eternal, so I think it’s gone and has to be replaced.

MY QUESTION: Does anybody know if the generators from the VF 750 F fit in? They are much cheaper available ob ebay germany than the ones for the 1000. Please help!!