Newbie On Da Block!!

Hi Guys

New to this forum (although I’ve been a regular visitor to VF1000.com for nearly a year…)

I only found the forum after a “control refresh” unearthed a completely revised home page…! Duh!

I’ve had my FE since last July and first found the site whilst looking for info on the marque… I actually wanted one in '84 when they first came out, but at that tender age I could only afford a big bike, not bike insurance too…[:(] The sums added up to a CBX1000A and 3rd Party F&T… Lots of fun (in straight lines!![;)]) By the time I was tired of the CBX fuek comsumption (22 mpg![:0]) The Vf had already “soiled it’s pants” and the engine horror stories were everywhere (some true, some not, as you guys know…!)

My bike is an 84 FE (rare black/silver) less than 23k miles. I bought it bog standard but with Motad Neta silencers - which were only made for the VF750F - it had a horrendous flat spot at 6K rpm… I’ve almost sorted that by fitting the MIVV replica silencers… I have since added the following “mods”

Euro-Design Rear Carrier (NOS, Ebay)
Lucas Braided Brake Hoses (alloy/stainless - NOS, Ebay)
Dave Dodge cam oil supply mod (DRP Racing - incredible!)
Avon Azaro Radial tyres
Scottoiler + Magnum Reservoir (Ebay again, 2nd hd oiler, NOS Res)
MIVV Silencers (David Silver Spares)
Fan Switch Mod (Intermotor 54054 opens earlier, stays open longer!)
55/100W H/Lamp bulb…
Fiam horns (not fitted yet, but bracket is nearly completed)

Also much remedial work carried out (previous owner not the most competent mechanic…!) Including POR 15 treatment to the tank (damn good stuff) and tonight I flushed a hundred years of neglect out of the cooling system (an o-ring on the front cylinder feed piped “popped out” and issued forth a fine spray of rust over the side of the bike and my left leg…!) Turned out the previous owner had folded the o-ring in half when jamming the pipe in…! I’ve no idea how the thing held water for any time at all!!? Anyway… It was her way of telling me that the cooling system was full of CRAP (even though I drained the system and filled with good antifreeze last year!) - It took over an hour of flushing before the water was clear of rust… and I had to remove some pipes to back flush before it ran clear… I recommend this every two year AT LEAST!!

Anyhow, this is a bit of a long post for an intro… Hello, I must be going…![^]</font id=“Arial”></font id=“size3”></font id=“black”>

MITI-BABE
Sunny Scotland - North(ish)
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Hello Miti my lad…not a long intro at all…the more info the better. Where you from then ? Didn’t know black and silver were rare…good…that’s what I’ve got . Sloooooooowly rebuilding mine…will get there one day. Any pictures to post ?

Tim

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

Tim

I hail originally from Wallasey on the Wirral Peninsula (demi-scouser)but me and mine have lived 10 miles North of Glasgow for the past 9 years… I didn’t know the black silver FE’s were rare either until I read thru some posts on this forum…! But come to think of it, if there are less than 200 FE’s left in UK, and Black/Silver was a UK only colour scheme (which I think it was) then (across the planet) they’re rarer than hen’s teeth…![:D]

I posted a piccy of mine in the gallery… Ain’t it working for you?

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Hi Miti! Glad you found the forum - another black and Silver FE and in Scotland too! My FE is the one in the gallery with the 4 into 1 system and fairing that we fitted this year. Not sure if the black/silver colour was restricted to the UK, I’ve seen some in Australia that have cropped up on eBay.

Do you go to the BMF rally at Kelso? Fancy a meet up this year? I know Iain is interested with his F2, could be a good opportunity for a UK meetup for any VF owners who are interested.

Peter.

Aaargh!

Don’t mention Kelso…!

I last went 2 years ago and it was so duff that I swore I’d not bother again…! This year we’ve already booked the family holiday and Kelso is smack in the middle… No probs, thinks I, I’m not even slightly bothered…![:(!]

Next thing, BMF asks the Club (Mercury MCC) to host a stand at Kelso - free of charge and all “exhibitors” get in free… I can’t go, even though it’s free…![:0]

Now you guys are proposing a VF meet @ Kelso… It’s just TOO painful…(sob[V])

And… just to cap it all… I had hoped to make it to the XS1100 owners rally (Kent this year)… and didn’t the swines organise it for the very weekend of my birthday…?! (Bit of a family thing that… birthdays held in VERY high regard, family do and all that…) So there’s NO chance AT ALL of getting to that this year…

Sod it…! I’m gonna shoot myself in the knackers…![xx(]

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

quote:
Sod it..! I'm gonna shoot myself in the knackers..![xx(]

lol - shame you won’t be able to make it. I was at Kelso on the Sunday last year, great weather and loads of bargains. If you ever venture south on the bike - I’m in Dumfries - let me know.

Peter.

Peter

I was fairly close last Saturday afternoon… Newton Stewart. Out on a run whilst staying at the Tam O Shanter Rally in Straiton…

I’m planning to go fer a cone (or mebbe a single nougat…?) out in North Berwick this Sunday… (If the missus lets me play out…)

That’d be a good run from Dumfries… certainly get it off the choke[:D] Let me know if you’re interested… I’ll pass on my mobile No and we can meet up so you can slag off my rusty frame…! (Loverly MIVV silencers though…[:p])

Jeff

And yes… It’s a pity about Kelso, but Hit Shappens…!

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Yeah cool, Newton Stewart is like 50 miles or so from here. Could do with a decent run out, so yeah, lets see what the weather brings on Sunday, I’m partial to one of those ice creams with a flake in it, oh no wait, thats a Guiness Xtra cold :-).

If you wanna drop me your moby number email it to paj at vf1000 dot com.

cheers

Peter.

quote:
Originally posted by Miti-Babe

Tim

I hail originally from Wallasey on the Wirral Peninsula (demi-scouser)but me and mine have lived 10 miles North of Glasgow for the past 9 years… I didn’t know the black silver FE’s were rare either until I read thru some posts on this forum…! But come to think of it, if there are less than 200 FE’s left in UK, and Black/Silver was a UK only colour scheme (which I think it was) then (across the planet) they’re rarer than hen’s teeth…![:D]

I posted a piccy of mine in the gallery</font id=“red”></font id=“size2”>… Ain’t it working for you?

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Hiya Jeff…haven’t looked in the picture gallery for some time…I’ll pop in and have a look. Don’t get on here much…as too bloody busy with everything else…and now the weather has warmed up and it’s great for working on the VF in the garage…I’m out on the 'Bird all the bloody time.[:D][:D]

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday