Squeak in engine

Hi guys
Just bought myself a 1985 VF1000, blue and silver. It’s in excellent condition with original pipes etc. I rode it to work today and it had a high pitched squeak coming from the left side of the engine when I arrived, although it wasn’t there when I left home 60 kilometres earlier. It sounds almost like a bush is dry in the side case somewhere.
I started the bike up a few hours later and it was gone. I’ve no doubt it will return though[V]
Any ideas?

Chris
Australia

water pump? sits under the left side. Could be a dry seal or knackered bearing in there. You don’t say if it’s top or bottom end noise.

It seems to be from the bottom of the engine, and goes up and down with engine revs.
Another issue is a rattly cam chain which comes and goes. I thought maybe the tensioner is a little dodgy?

Sounds plausible, methinks mechanical investigation is required!

G’day Chris,

Welcome to the forum, if you haven’t already you can download the service manual from the main page, it should give you some more ideas but I reckon scratcher is spot on with the water pump being the culprit!

Cheers
Tony

Thanks for the help guys. What’s the go with the cam chain tensioner. Are they an issue and an easy fix?
Cheers
chris

Thanks for the help guys. What’s the go with the cam chain tensioner. Are they an issue and an easy fix?
Cheers
chris

They can be a bit of a job, it could be just the tappets out of adjustment and rattling a bit?
Some info on tensioner change-out below

http://www.carlparker.com/how2/V4tensioners.html