Start of an R project

Pretty good examples of the ravages of weather and neglect in this pic of front calipers and clutch slave cylinder. They were all just hanging on their hoses exposed to the elements. Amazing what a combination of brake fluid and damp
can do. Luckily I have spares.

Wow - that is about as bad as I have seen.
Keep up the photos - always good to see how a project is progressing.

Bit more progress. I needed space, so decided to strip the latest roller down. Hung fairings and body parts up from shed roof to save space. Pulled forks and swing arm off the frame. Idea is to get a little Yamaha off my bike bench so I can get the straight R frame up for prep and painting.
Pics of RE frame beside a spare FE frame for comparison

1 Like

Amazed at what weather exposure has done to the bike, even steering head bearings were dry and rusty.
Spent a little time dismantling front brakes. Apart from the ss pins they’ll be a throw away!

1 Like

I can see the

• Good
  • Bad
  • Ugly
    in all these pictures
1 Like

Hey Speedy,
You could try some rust converter :rofl:

Interesting to see the different frames side by side.
It just emphasises the difficulties involved when trying to swap over parts from different models.

I must have missed the good?

@Jovimill absolutely, didn’t have the room to push them next to FF for another comparison. If I get a chance I will.

@Tuffy, I must have missed the good?

:rofl: The good will be there after the project compltion :grinning:

Bit more progress on project. Had tried to do a compression test on the motor in the rough rolling chassis. I had to try a couple of different compression gauges, and still not really sure of the results. Showed 150 psi even on both front cylinders, but only 80, and 50 on rear two? I think the gauge tapered rubber seal wasn’t sealing properly despite me pushing down hard. When I had run the motor previously it sounded as though it was firing on all four, and even heat between the cyls, plugs looked good too?
Decided to pull the motor out, and strip it right down. Do it once, and do it right. A couple of pics of parts removed, will have to shift a little XT 250 Yam from the bench to make room for the R to go on once frame is stripped, primed and painted.
You can see this bike has had a very hard life, the clutch cover shows the scars of sliding down the road, and on both sides both the frame lugs for the riders, and pillion pegs have been bent. The lock stop on the steering head shows signs of a hit at full lock also, and both clipons bent. Current plan is to build this motor up into the other frame.
IMG_47231
IMG_47221
IMG_47241

Motor stripdown:.
IMG_47431

Got the motor out, and onto the bench about a week ago, geez they are a heavy lump! Decided to build a simple stand to aid stability for strip down and build. I made it from scrap steel- two runners of 30 mm square tube, with risers welded on for bolt holes on mounting points. I made the two sides as separate bits, and only joined by threaded rod and nuts to enhance rigidity. The idea is I’ll be able to dismantle the stand and store without it taking up much space.
IMG_47631
This is my first time working on a gear driven V4, so exciting stuff lurking under the cam covers for me!
When I got the roller with the motor in a few months back, I had slipped the cam covers off to see if there was a disaster lurking, and at that time, from what I could see it all looked clean, with no cam, or rocker pitting or scoring evident.
As I hadn’t been able to get a proper compression reading on the rear cylinders, (wrong bend/seal for gauge), I thought I’d start dismantling from the rear heads.
Delighted to find the cams and rockers all in good condition, and from the appearance of the cams, (dark “Parkerised” ? finish), maybe the cams had been replaced, or refinished at some stage. Will see if I can get some pics of the cams to illustrate. All the top end was clean, and I could see some marks around the inner cam cover gasket face which looked like burring from a valve spring compressor.
On the rear, all of the cam bearing surfaces look excellent- no sign of scoring or pitting, another bonus.
Can see why there is so much discussion about correct valve timing for Rs, marks on both sides of the motor, but it looks like a much simpler job to reinstall the cams than on the F motors?
IMG_47721
Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to lift the rear head, and continue with the front head, but so far it looks like the motor out of the cheap $300 incomplete roller is going to be a good one after a good refresh, reseal, and repaint - fingers crossed!
I like how this R motor has the main bearing type letters stamped on the cases, rather than just paint marked on the Fs.

I’ll update progress later today, including motor>.I’ve been concentrating on cleaning up the best frame, which has turned out to be rust affected in the bottom frame members under the motor.
Has anyone got frame critical dimensions for an alignment check?

I was inspired today and decided I had to sort and rationalise all the R parts. There were R bits in a few different bins and locations in the shed. Realised that the best plan was to mock up the bike, and sort out the best parts to use from my FE, FF, and R parts.
The plan is now that I’ve sorted the best parts from multiples I can now identify any missing bits, and concentrate on rebuilding components in a logical way.
Pics show the bits just hung off the frame without bodywork to ensure that they are the correct fitting RE parts, rather than FE or FF.
I’ve got 2 frames, this one currently has CBR 1000 F forks and wheels. Not sure if I’ll get the bike rolling with CBR wheels which are nice 17 inch, and easy to get good rubber for, or fit the R wheels and brakes?

3 Likes

Wishing you good luck. I’m just thinking to end my R times … the 1000 one not the 400 :wink:

Update:
Short of time and haven’t had a chance to fit rings and reground cams to the motor.
I realised that I was still short of lots of parts to complete a rideable bike.
I placed an ad in FB marketplace for parts or bike wanted. Long story short, now owner of another RE, totally dismantled years ago after 30,000 kms. Missing only all cooling hoses. Thanks Melvyn! Santa gave me a jigsaw early!!!

3 Likes