Sudden loud "tap" from the rear cylinder head! ideas & help please

Hi
I have a small – massive problem??
I have a VF 1000 ff & I brought it last year & have just completed a light tarting up that involved, Some touching up of the paint work & changing the oil, plus, filter & also changing to waterless cooling & fitting a replacement radiator.
Now here’s the thing.
I was running the bike up like I do every 3 weeks or so the engine had been running for around 15 minutes when it stopped ( I had turned the fuel off to test the fuel switch ).
However when the bike was restarted there was a loud “ticking” similar to a very loud tappet that wasn`t apparent before coming from the rear cylinder head.
I am not much of a mechanic but willing to try & get in there.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Hi Bert,was the noise engine speed linked?Did it Stop after a short period?Just with the fuel having been turned off the fuel pump would be clicking away like crazy until the carbs refilled.
Regards Bif

0 Likes

Hi Bif
The noise is speed related & is continuous.
It sounds like a LOUD tappet (singular), however if it was a tappet I would expect the noise to grow as the adjustment got more out of range, This just started & is LOUD like metal on metal…
The type of sound & the suddenness is what is causing me to worry. I am wondering if a Tappet adjuster has broken.
The bike runs, it just sounds like a berserk typewriter
Ideas? or is panic more in keeping.

Cheers Bert

0 Likes

Hi Bif
It appears that the fuel pump was the problem & after leaving the fuel on to allow the pump & system to fill & the problem is considerably less noisy.

Cheers bert

0 Likes