1000R strip down and refurb

A few forumites have mentioned about replacement foot peg rubbers. Mine is an Oz 84 1000R and I’d like to replace the foot peg rubbers. Any advice? Presently doing a strip down and rejuvenate restoration. The motor has been refurbed, body work painted, frame painted, carbs disassembled and rebuilt. Need to get on to the hydraulics next and look at re-chroming forks. I broke my 1000R at a track day (hard chrome disintegration on the cams) in 1996 (no, not a typo) and am just getting back on the restoration project.

1 Like

Photos please.
What oil were you running?

Footpeg rubbers aren’t removeable on the RE as far as I’m aware…and you can’t easily buy new pegs. I found the old Kawasaki ZX6 pegs will fit after drilling the pivot point out to the required 12mm. I bought some just last month and fitted them to my RE yesterday. I know they’re not original Honda but if they cannot be bought it makes things difficult.

Smithy.

1 Like

I have a 1000RE and my foot peg rubbers were worn down and couldn’t find replacement, I purchased some old foot pegs of a newer 1000R and the used new rubbers on those. New rubbers are freely available

1 Like

It was a long time ago and I had only had the bike about 4 weeks before the top end went pear shaped.

The shed is looking like a 1000RE graveyard… I spent some time today refurbishing the L + R foot pegs and brackets.

1 Like

Peg rubbers aren’t removeable on mine… Can you show a pic of yours please…??

Smithy.

Mine is a vf1000RE and the rubbers were not changeable see first pic. So I purchased some used footrests from the newer model, 1985 I think and these were changeable and put new rubbers on those see pics 2 & 3

Yeah, you’re right…the RE rubbers aren’t replaceable…The RF/RG are replaceable.

Smithy.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I have non replaceable RE style pegs.

Try older style Kawasaki ZX6 or similar. You may have to drill the hole out but they should fit ok… For KAWASAKI NINJA 650/R 1000 SX ZX6R ER6F/N VERSYS 650 Front Foot Pegs Adapter | eBay

To replace footrest rubbers on an RE buy later rubbers. Strip old rubbers off the RE footpeg and remove all traces of glue. Shape new rubber by removing excess material until it is a good fit to metal part. (Finicky job).
Buy some industrial strength adhesive and glue new rubber to old metal footrest.
I have done this to my bike.(See photos).Rubber design is a little diferent to original RE.

Now there’s a good idea…I never though of removing the old rubbers.

Smithy.

Thanks for the advice Downunder, Fry480 and Smithy1. One of the spares looks like it has later model foot pegs so I might refurb those down the track. If time permits a coat of satin clear on the foot peg mounts and associated bits is on the cards for tomorrow.