16 inch Tires, which would you recommend

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

time for new tires for my 1000RF, but the manufacturers seem to make the choice easy for me…

Avon Roadriders Mk2 are no longer available in 16 inch, so the only ….I wouldn´t call it choice are BT46?? Nothing else?? What shall we do, if Bridgestone decides to discontnue the 16inch line ?

Are there any alternatives on the market which I haven´t found?

I have no idea, do you guys have???

Best wishes

Joe

I recently bought Avon Road Riders here in Aus for my RE…both 120/80/16 and 140/78/17 were available. IMHO they are significantly better than the BT46.

Smithy.

Fear not, I use these Dunlops

Hi there,

Neither the Avons, which I have currently on the bike and I´m very satisfied with, nor the Dunlops are available here in Germoney.

Goodyear must have discontinued the Avon 16 inch line. Mine are from 2020…

Best wishes

Joe

Shinko makes a 16" front but it’s a tall 70 series. It works fine but looks a little dated.

I was told ‘Shinko’ was the daughter of the Yokohama tyre co. owner, who sold much of the old tooling and tread designs to Shinko. I have Shinko Ravens on several of my bikes and they grip well and give good tread life.

Yuu can see the Shinko 16" mounted on the VF1000R in my first post “Hello from sunny smoky California” only the video link though, the stills are from 2012, the Quail Lodge Motorcycle Gathering.

BTW that’s a Shinko also on the rear, but in a 17" size

These Shinko tyres often run under $100 USD from many sources here in the US, delivered.

I have a dozen bikes to ride and keep shod with new rubber, batteries, insurance and road registration, so I’m not spending $300 USD per tyre for a more common name brand unless they are on sale. It’s an expensive hobby, but I love it!!

BLIGHT

The correct 16" R front tyre is actually an 80 series 120/80/16, not a 70 series.

I bought the correct size Avon tyres for mine here in Aus, their manufacture date is week 36 of 2022. I fitted them in mid 2024.

Smithy.

Sorry, I just went out to the garage and checked that new 16" Shinko on the VF1000R, it’s an 80 series!, so it has a visually taller sidewall than what I’m used to seeing. Probably makes the actual OD something closer to a modern 17" 60 profile series .

The 1985 issue of Cycle Guide magazine shows the front tyre originally was a Dunlop D500 80 series 120/ 16" size… so it’s a compatible size.

I’ve personally put 1000’s of worry free mostly sporty miles on Shinko tyres. I can highly recommend them to those looking to save a little cash for fuel and food these days!

Most modern bike 17" front tyres are 70 series, normally a 120/70/17 not 120/60/17. I have two other “modern” bikes, a BMW S1000XR and an Energica Experia electric bike…and both have 120/70/17 front tyres.

Smithy.

As Joe is from Germany and regulations here are a bit weird my recommendation would be: Reifenbindung austragen.

With bikes from times before CoC Papers, you have to use the ones that are written down in your papers unless the bike or tire manufaturer has some docs that allows different ones. But even there you may need some official examinaton.

Due to new regulations you can get papers that only determines size, speed and load index which gives more freedom in tire choice, as the SC16 is not in focus for manufactores to grant such papers.

From my history with this bike. I started with Metzeler ME33/99. Worst expirience when little braking in curves which makes the bike to come up.

I changed to BT45 which were much better in wet condition and curves.

I had a short period with Avon Azaro AV46 which had less wear but not so good in wet condition. (They are still mounted on reserve original rims)

After switching to PC25 rims I used Bridgestone T30 evo and now Metzeler M9RR what gives more choices and better performance.

On original rims I would recommend BT46 now.

1 Like