cam chain and guides

Hello, my name is Shane and I live in Sydney Australia. I need to replace my cam chains and guides as I have a rattly top end, I have adjusted all my valve clearances, and as I was turning the engine around I noticed a hell of a lot of slack chain up on top guide. anyway I was wondering if there was a kit of such, or do I have to purchase all relevant parts individually. it is a vf1000 f 1985 model, any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. parts for these old girls are not only hard to find here but they cost an arm and a leg, so sourcing them from the UK or the USA would be the go. thanks Shane.

Hi Shane are you happy that your adjuster for the cam chain is working correctly?

hi shane, i dont think there is a cam chain kit as such available, cam chains are available through such as david silvers, wemoto, ebay…ect… they normally cost about £45 each plus a bit of postage, if i was you i would make double sure the chains needed replacing before i ordered new, there are a few things that can cause the same symptons as you have, faulty tensioner, damaged or faulty tensioner blade including the pocket it locates into,
windex had similar issues in his thread on page 3 of this section( Cam chain tensioner etc )… there may be some info in there you could use.

hi wdavie, no I am not sure that the tensioner/adjuster is ok, I have had them out about 5000 klm ago when I replaced the chains and all was good then. But I did not replace any guides at the time, and that is why I was thinking of chan ging them now.

quote:
Originally posted by wdavie

Hi Shane are you happy that your adjuster for the cam chain is working correctly?

Hello VF pete, thanks for your reply I have read through section 3 with the problems etc experienced by windex, and have decided to have a look after removing rocker covers etc before I purchase any parts etc. thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by vf pete

hi shane, i dont think there is a cam chain kit as such available, cam chains are available through such as david silvers, wemoto, ebay…ect… they normally cost about £45 each plus a bit of postage, if i was you i would make double sure the chains needed replacing before i ordered new, there are a few things that can cause the same symptons as you have, faulty tensioner, damaged or faulty tensioner blade including the pocket it locates into,
windex had similar issues in his thread on page 3 of this section( Cam chain tensioner etc )… there may be some info in there you could use.

Pete and wdavie are on the right track, particularly if you replaced the chains only 5000 kms ago, they should last at least ten times that distance.
The “screen door closer” tensioner that they have has always been troublesome, but you may be able to rectify it without actually removing it, try removing the rocker covers and push down (I think) on the lock tab with a screwdriver to see if it releases and takes up the tension, you never know, it may have just released and not “caught” back on the rod.
hopefully it’s not the tensioner blade broken, although that “may” be replaced by taking the top half out through the cam cover area, and the remainder through the sump? Does that sound right guys?
Good luck, Tony

chains last for ages even my Ford Transit has one thank goodness
I hate belts[}:)]