Engine Fairings

G’day all. I am very new to this forum (any forum). First timer in fact. Although this is my first posting I have looked on in interest for the past month since I bought my Vf. In that time I found a pic of a beautiful machine sporting a full engine fairing (black, white, grey). I know I’m on the other side of the world from most of you but hope that won’t stand in the way of identifying the fairing and sourcing info on where / how I can get my hands on one. PAJ - If your out there I believe your familiar with the bike I refer to.

Cheers: Tim

quote:
Originally posted by OzVFour

G’day all. I am very new to this forum (any forum). First timer in fact. Although this is my first posting I have looked on in interest for the past month since I bought my Vf. In that time I found a pic of a beautiful machine sporting a full engine fairing (black, white, grey). I know I’m on the other side of the world from most of you but hope that won’t stand in the way of identifying the fairing and sourcing info on where / how I can get my hands on one. PAJ - If your out there I believe your familiar with the bike I refer to.

Big Hi from one Tim to another. PAJ will be along sometime to enlighten you. Nice to see another daft bugger join.[;)]

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

Would that be one of the aftermarket glassfibre ones that fit the FE models?

quote:
I found a pic of a beautiful machine sporting a full engine fairing (black, white, grey). I know I'm on the other side of the world from most of you but hope that won't stand in the way of identifying the fairing and sourcing info on where / how I can get my hands on one. PAJ - If your out there I believe your familiar with the bike I refer to.

Hi Down Under Tim, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase of the FE! Ignore the other Tim, we’re not all daft buggers, he’s English and worse - from the North…

The engine fairing on my FE is an aftermarket fairing I found in Italy, and amazingly it was the right colours for my Silver/Grey FE. It’s certainly an aftermarket fairing probably 20+ years old the same as the bike. I doubt there is anywhere you can buy them from new anymore, we have seen another aftermarker fairing that one of they guys on the Mainland has, I think he’s on this forum too, I haven’t seen many other pics of FE’s with aftermarket lowers on. There is a company in Oz that we have checked out before that produces replica fairings, not sure they do one for the FE. They do add to the look of the bike and on mine hides the engine parts and the frame which are a bit tatty/rusty on my bike. It’s a bit of a pain when it comes to checking the oil to take the fairing off, but its worth it as its a unique look to the bike though of course non standard.

No doubt there are more aftermarket fairings out there so keeping your eye on eBay is worth it, I was very lucky to find mine!

Post some pics of your ride so we can have a look!

Nothing much changed on my FE for this year, we are just getting it and Bifs rebuilt Bol ready for a couple of days touring Scotland this weekend so more pics of the two bikes and another FE that is coming with us will be here next week.

Next up is project RE, seems like Bif is on a roll…

take care

Peter.

I have one of the fibreglass half fairings that has been sat in the garage for a while, it has been lightly damaged but is easily repairable, i can get it copied but not sure at what cost, a mould is usually around three times the cost of the item to be produced not including any pattern making work, most moulds/patterns can usually be changed or adapted to personal preference/design/needs, so if demand is low it can make it an expensive item or vise-versa, I used to work in the glassfibre industry back in the day and still have contacts, I’m working away for two or three days darn sarf and wont be back on "T"internet till I get back oop nowf

If tha evver duz owt fo nowt allus duit fo thi sen[^]

And while I’m still on the "T"internet does anyone else think the FE has a more attractive “Rear” than the other models, the aftermarket fairing seems to add to the sharper look of the bike,[^] simply compare the side views on the home page[:D]… now do you see what I mean[;)] Yes very nice[:X] and should be much more collectable[:p]

quote:
Originally posted by PAJ
quote:
I found a pic of a beautiful machine sporting a full engine fairing (black, white, grey). I know I'm on the other side of the world from most of you but hope that won't stand in the way of identifying the fairing and sourcing info on where / how I can get my hands on one. PAJ - If your out there I believe your familiar with the bike I refer to.

Hi Down Under Tim, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase of the FE! Ignore the other Tim, we’re not all daft buggers, he’s English and worse - from the North…

The engine fairing on my FE is an aftermarket fairing I found in Italy, and amazingly it was the right colours for my Silver/Grey FE. It’s certainly an aftermarket fairing probably 20+ years old the same as the bike. I doubt there is anywhere you can buy them from new anymore, we have seen another aftermarker fairing that one of they guys on the Mainland has, I think he’s on this forum too, I haven’t seen many other pics of FE’s with aftermarket lowers on. There is a company in Oz that we have checked out before that produces replica fairings, not sure they do one for the FE. They do add to the look of the bike and on mine hides the engine parts and the frame which are a bit tatty/rusty on my bike. It’s a bit of a pain when it comes to checking the oil to take the fairing off, but its worth it as its a unique look to the bike though of course non standard.

No doubt there are more aftermarket fairings out there so keeping your eye on eBay is worth it, I was very lucky to find mine!

Post some pics of your ride so we can have a look!

Nothing much changed on my FE for this year, we are just getting it and Bifs rebuilt Bol ready for a couple of days touring Scotland this weekend so more pics of the two bikes and another FE that is coming with us will be here next week.

Next up is project RE, seems like Bif is on a roll…

take care

Peter.

Hey Peter, Thanks for your response. It sounds like I've got a bit of work and patience ahead of me before I land a fairing but I won't be detered by that. Again - I think your bike looks awsome. If you ever want to sell the fairing or make it available to be copied let me know. I will work at getting some pics of my bike online - but don't expect too much. It was an ebay purchase that very nearly went pear shaped because the bike was not at all in condition as described, but after a new price was negotiated I went home with a "project" instead of a "ride". A brother inlaw has come to the rescue and is assisting with the resto. No big hurry though - it's my aim to have it on the road for spring / summer (Sept >).

Communication with you guys might be somewhat slowed becasue of the time diff. I will be off line for a couple of days due to work road-trip, but rest assured I will return and appreciate the opportunity to chat and share ideas, info, and experiences.

quote:
Originally posted by philjo

I have one of the fibreglass half fairings that has been sat in the garage for a while, it has been lightly damaged but is easily repairable, i can get it copied but not sure at what cost, a mould is usually around three times the cost of the item to be produced not including any pattern making work, most moulds/patterns can usually be changed or adapted to personal preference/design/needs, so if demand is low it can make it an expensive item or vise-versa, I used to work in the glassfibre industry back in the day and still have contacts, I’m working away for two or three days darn sarf and wont be back on "T"internet till I get back oop nowf

If tha evver duz owt fo nowt allus duit fo thi sen[^]

Hey Phil, Thanks for your response. Is the fairing you've got tucked away the same as what's on Peters bike, or something different?? I've seen another pic of a more rounded fairing (I think referred to as a "pitchler" fairing), but it not quite the look I'm after. Is it worth posting a pic of it for the me (and the world) to see?? Whilst I'm not made of money - what I will say is that when I see something I like I am willing to stretch as far as possible to get it (right round the globe in fact). I might take you up on any offer to find out more info re the costs of replicating the fairing if it's the right one.

Likwise I will be offline for a couple of days but hope we can discuss further.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by OzVFour

Communication with you guys might be somewhat slowed becasue of the time diff. I will be off line for a couple of days due to work road-trip, but rest assured I will return and appreciate the opportunity to chat and share ideas, info, and experiences.

Tim…the time difference is only relative…your 'lectric over there is just as fast as the 'lectric over here. Amazing isn’t it?[;)]

[quote]

Tried to post the other pics phil but photobucket says the pics have been moved or are gone!

[8D]

Hi Tim from down under is this any closer?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Interceptor-VF1000F-Lockhart-Fairing-1000-1000f_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35583QQihZ006QQitemZ160226235552QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Phil.

quote:

Hi Tim from down under is this any closer?

Phil.

Err…Phil…I was hoping no bugger would see this as I’m interested …[;)]

[:)]

oops![:0]

quote:

G'day Mate, Well bugger me - Thats the one. Thanks for the pics - appreciated. Like I say earlier - If you ever want to clear some room in that shed of yours let me know. Meanwhile if you think getting it copied is a viable option then also let me know. Whilst in Melbourne last week I dropped my fairings off too a f/glass wizz for a good tidy up. He's charging me a small fortune but has promised "show quality" finish. He tried to justify his price by saying that bikes of this erea are becoming very popular and increasing their value. Thats fine if your in it for an investment return - I just want to take it for a fang around the Great Ocean Road. Still good to know Im not throwing my money away.

While Im on… Anybody got anything to say about how a bland single colour (white) helmet can be tarted up a bit?? It’s a good hat, no probs there, just a bit boring. Can they be painted or have graphics added without compromising the safety / integrity of the helmet??

Cheers: Tim.

Hi tim polycanbonate helmets should’nt be painted, the solvents in paints make the plastic brittle, stickers I’m not sure about, someone else may know better, glassfibre or fiberglass I have in the past painted myself, as for newer composites I’v no idea maybe someone else can help. Phil.