Front cyl. coolant circulation question

Greetings,

I’m brand new to this site and a rookie on the Honda V4s. Most of my work/experience is with the air-cooled breaker-points ignition stuff. I’m 72 and have a small low-key shop, just north of Asheville NC/USA, ministering to the special needs of geriatric Japanese motorcycles; '60s/'70s.

But an 84 year-old friend has prevailed upon me to revive his '84 VF1000F from 20+ years of imperfect storage. All is going quite well - valve clearances corrected, new fuel pump and relay, carbs stripped to the bare castings, rebuilt and bench-synced, brake and clutch systems stripped and rebuilt with new internals, and it’s up and running for a few minutes on the lift - but before I take it out for a test hop, I need to know if there’s a problem with the coolant flow to the front two cyls - or not. Since this is my first water-cooled Honda V4, I don’t know if what I am seeing is normal or a problem.

When I first drained the coolant, I noticed that just a few dribbles came out of the drain ports on the front of the two front cyls - and, when I forgot to screw in the plugs - that only a few more dribbles came out when I filled the system with fresh coolant.

Is this okay or is there an internal blockage?

I have not run it long enough on the lift to be able to detect a coolant flow problem from the outside with an infrared thermometer.

Thank you,

Chris Finlayson
Existential Motorcycles
Alexander NC 28701
Excited States of America

What you describe is very common and has never caused me a problem

1 Like