Fuel cap leak again VF1000RE

I have a repeat problem with fuel leaking out of the key hole on my VF1000RE fuel cap, I replaced the main rubber gasket and also one way valve o ring and cleaned up the valve as suggested on another post. This worked for a couple of months but has started to leak out of the key hole again bubbling petrol over tank. I repeated the fix on the one way valve again but this time it still leaks a bit…The valve seems to work i.e. blocks air when you blow it and lets air through when sucking but leaks when on bike, do you think the clear disc could have weakened as it does seem fragile? Or could there be too much pressure in fuel tank? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Did the replacement valve solve the problem?

Hi Bif, the valve arrived thanks but the postie had broken a couple of the lugs off. I found one in the packet and have loctite’d it back on but couldn’t find the other fragment…see picture. Hope the glue holds! Will it fall in the petrol if it breaks off

?
Haven’t fitted it yet as I broke a rib or two last week and now struggling to do anything useful

Hi Bif, after fitting the new one way valve I still had a leak through the cap key hole. I was a bit more concerned now as that is 2 different valves.
So I re-investigated the issue. I turned the cap upside down and gently poured petrol around the underside of the cap centre locking mechanism inside the large rubber seal and well away from the one way valve.
This also resulted in fuel leaking out of the cap key hole which I wasn’t expecting.
I then checked the large rubber seal again which I had previously changed (6 months ago) with a seal from a Chinese fuel cap as per advice in here. The seal had gone very soft and spongy so I replaced this with an old Honda one from a VF500 cap which I had to slightly mod. as it was too large and brought back to life with rubber grease.
I tried this and on the last couple of rides (circa 50 miles) it hasn’t leaked! Fingers crossed this has fixed.
As always thanks for your help on this.

1 Like