How about starting a VF1000 facebook page?

An easy and fun way to interract. dont you think?

//Nick

Sounds like a good idea to me.

[}:)]Dont think so
This is better
I dont have a Facebook account and I still manage to socialize and no dam advertising.[:)]

Keep it the way it is

Very restricted members as the bikes are in limited supply

have to say I tend to agree with windy on this facebook gets a lot of junj thrown on it but nothing to stop face book users from contactng each other is there,

In the mean time what colours can I paint on the f2f other than silver and not spoil it totally the black wheels and tyres just look… too black … and the fairing needs a repair and re paint so may as well do the repaint jonb at the same time was thinking of period rothmans colours … then its finding someone who can do it

never been on face book before, i know my next door nieghbour got burgled while she was on holiday, turns out the silly moo had put it on face book she was away for the week, it wouldn’t be something i was partically interested in but every one to there own, think i need to spend less time on computer.

I suspect this is an age thing. Nick, I,m guessing youre a spring chicken compared to us old farts ? Or maybe its just the UK doing its usual " living in the past" Personally, I also see no real benefit from going Facebook. [:(]

I am flattered Martin, I didn’t think 53 years old allowed me to be called a spring chicken!
I can’t see any negative aspect to a facebook page (ads aside), I don’t believe it would conflict with this site, and if you never try it, how will you know?
It would only need to be visible to members, not everyone.

I agree, it will be a good complement to the forum. And may help spring chickens like me and Tony finding the main page :slight_smile:
Well how about this. A Facebook fan-page doesn’t need to be attached to this side. Is it ok if i start a Honda VF and VFR fanpage. No resources there just a place to share pics and talk. Is it ok to have vf1000.com as a link suggestion on that fanpage next to sites like vfrworld.com, v4hondabbs.com, etc?

I will get around to formally creating the vf1000.com Facebook page sometime, the site is already in the open graph, so click the like button on the main page if you want to support it. As a resource for owners we won’t gain much by moving to Facebook, we usually appear number one in vf1000 related google searches, so people who are looking for vf1000 info will find it through the main site and this forum. I do want to bring the forum up to date sometime and move away from this asp based software. Newer forum software will enable more social type plugins for Facebook freaks, such as like and share buttons next to posts to share forum posts on social networks such FB and Twitter. Watch this space!

Paj, this CX forum is quite user friendly http://www.cx-gl.org.uk/ I can put you in touch with the guy who looks after it is you want.

Martin

Correct me if I am wrong here guys, but this doesn’t have to be an alternative to the existing forum, I think this forum is great, maybe a FB page could be a compliment to this forum instead of an alternative.
Tony

I dont see facebook ever being an alternative to the forum either but maYbe a faster way for people to discuss SPECIFIC things with Specific people rather than having to wait a few days for a reply .

Cheers Marmite, I like the http://www.simplemachines.org/ forum software and it has an upgrade path from this software, albeit a difficult upgrade, but it is possible. That means we retain the entire forum history, posts, users etc. which is not easy to achieve with other forum software. The only drawback is that passwords are not stored in this forums database so I need to develop a plan that brings down this forum, upgrades to the new software and provided a mechanism for all members to reset their passwords.

Definitely a job for 2013!!

quote:
Originally posted by radicalrabit

I dont see facebook ever being an alternative to the forum either but maYbe a faster way for people to discuss SPECIFIC things with Specific people rather than having to wait a few days for a reply .

It’s true that Forums are a bit Old School, but they do have there place. A more social network integrated Forum is the best of both worlds. Nick - feel free to create as many FB pages as you like, the more the better!

Well i am a really old fart here, 67, I agree with radicalrabit and think that FB does actually offer a good addition to this forum, it would really be complimentary not a replacement. FB is good for what you make it do for you and if you take care in what you post and want to be restricted you can be quite safe on it.

Not quite as old at 58; do use facebook but find these pages refreshingly free of ads and other bumf. For what it’s worth, the quick response from the vf1000.com link makes it first port of call from here in Oz when I’m trying to see if I’ve got local net problems or a more global issue. Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by hippo the vf1000.com link makes it first port of call from here in Oz when I'm trying to see if I've got local net problems or a more global issue.

Greetings Hippo, glad the site is fast for you, it’s hosted on my server in London by Linode.

PAJ

You can access the forum via Facebook now

https://www.facebook.com/vf1000

Seasons Greetings,

Peter.

Hi Paj, just wanted to say that the way you have set up the FB page is great, notification of posts, and takes you straight this site, best of both worlds!