Im about to buy a VF1000 ... Help ?

Hi all … Im a proud owner of a TL1000R and ive been offered a VF1000F for silly money. Ive ridden it and its too scary for words. Its completely standard … ie: Fast, wooden brakes, pogo stick suspension etc etc.

What Im after is some info on what could be done to the bike … I love the looks and that engine but I want to upgrade the wheels, tyres, suspension and brakes to ones that work … Maybe even go down the streetfighter road.

Can it be done ? Will it cost the earth ? What kinda work will I be letting myself in for ?

Cheers all.
Mark.

1999 TL1000R
1985 VF1000 (Getting)

quote:
Originally posted by UKBiker

Hi all … Im a proud owner of a TL1000R and ive been offered a VF1000F for silly money. Ive ridden it and its too scary for words. Its completely standard … ie: Fast, wooden brakes, pogo stick suspension etc etc.

What Im after is some info on what could be done to the bike … I love the looks and that engine but I want to upgrade the wheels, tyres, suspension and brakes to ones that work … Maybe even go down the streetfighter road.

Can it be done ? Will it cost the earth ? What kinda work will I be letting myself in for ?

Hi Mark, congrats on your purchase and welcome to this forum. Is it an FE or FF?

There are mods you can do to improve braking and increase tyre size. Swapping to CBR600 wheels is a popular one allowing you to run with more modern sized tyres and use the cbr discs.

Overhauling your brakes and using braided hoses is an obvious suggestion. Check the settings on your front forks, if necessary replace the fork oil and check the air pressure. I’ve just overhauled my front brakes for the new season as I wasn’t happy with them, they are still not perfect due to the wear on the discs - the ultimate solution is probably the wheel conversion.

Spare rear shockers are like hobby horse sh1t these days, check what condition yours is in and check what setting the rear shocker is at and again check the air pressure in it and adjust to suit. eBay is your friend for finding a replacement but they don’t come along very often.

Make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure too as can make a big difference to handling as does tyre selection - changing to radials made a big difference to the handling of my FE.

I wouldn’t say my brakes are wooden or that the suspension was pogo stick like! So I’m sure there is room for improvement on yours. Get yourself a honda manual to be on the safe side.

Where in the UK are you?

cheers

Peter.

Im in Middlesbrough. I havent bought it yet … Not sure what model just its a '85. I didn’t want to buy it unless I could solve the hair-raising handling / braking. Suppose Im to use to riding the Tiller.

CBR wheels solution sounds good … Will the standard VF caliper fit with CBR disks ? … The rear suspension feels fine … Just the front is really ‘up and down’.

Might have to part with some cash … Those V4 engines are cracking !

Mark.

1999 TL1000R
1985 VF1000 (Getting)