Major setback for me.

Having recently been made redundant/early retired last month I determined to finish off the VF 1000 FE.

If you cast your minds back she had quite a lot of work done as far as engine out, heads off and other minor engine work, recoated frame , “new” downpipes and various other jobs. Got her running fine last year, then on the backburner awaiting plastic repairs and respray.

“Dug” her out from the back of the garage over the weekend and started fitting up the prepared plastics/new fasteners ready for spraying.

Fired her up this morning…beautiful, then found the clutch wouldn’t operate. Bugger I thought…and so drained the new oil to take the clutch cover off to “avaluk”.

To my horror I found that the oil has got water in it. Nice emulsified froth covering the clutch basket.

Mind in turmoil as to the work I have to do to it again…so I have ragged in and come on here with a pot of tea to cry on ya shoulders.

What a bastid[:(!]

It’ll tske me a bloody day to get my head around this lot. I just hate taking the engine out.[V]

Dont take it out just yet mate! Has the coolant level dropped or discoloured? If not and you’ve only ever run her up for short periods in the garage, and she hasn’t been on a run to fully warm everything up, then the emulsion you describe could just be naturally produced condensation, not coolant! If it is coolant and it’s a head gasket gone(most likely), it may be the front head only if you’re lucky, and that can come off with the motor in situ. If you used new gaskets and torqued down correctly, I’d be surprised if a head gasket has failed like that. It could also be the waterpump seal, again, no need to remove the engine if it proves to be the case. I don’t think it sounds like it should be anything serious, but you never know til you have a look! Good luck.

Cheers Scratcher.

I know what you’re saying here as the thought had crossed my mind.

More details to share with you then…( “it’s good to talk” isn’t it [;)] )

As I say, took the engine out, both heads off as well as all ancilliaries/engine covers.

Overhauled the heads, new head gaskets, everything torqued down properley ( no corners cut here !) New water feed pipe O rings. New water pump O ring.

When the clutch cover was taken off the clutch was covered in froth. Dropped the oil and that’s like a milky coffee. Dropped the coolant and that’s as clear as a bell.

Did notice though that after all this time being stood there are signs around the outside of both head gaskets of dried up coolant ( white chalky deposits. Not a lot, just a bit here and there. When I ran the engine today, she sounded as sweet as a nut and no signs of head gasket leaks.

Just about to take the radiator off now so will proceed and take the front head off and have a look.

Bugger…been too bloody cold to work much in the garage over this long Winter…and now it’s too fekkin HOT ! Can’t win eh. [:(!]

Off out on the 'Bird into the Peak District for an hour now…bugger it.

Cheers again Scratcher

Did you just replace the waterpump o-ring, not the actual oil seal in the end around the drive shaft. There’s a ceramic water seal behind that too. A possibility perhaps. The chalky deposits only indicate a weep from the water jacket to the outside, the centre of the gasket may not have leaked. I’m sure you’ll get to the root of it, but a ride out into the peaks cos ya feel like it sounds a good idea. You lucky man. Here in Essex it’s as flat as a witches tit, not much good for BIG scenery to revitalise the soul!

quote:
Originally posted by scratcher

Did you just replace the waterpump o-ring, not the actual oil seal in the end around the drive shaft. There’s a ceramic water seal behind that too. A possibility perhaps. The chalky deposits only indicate a weep from the water jacket to the outside, the centre of the gasket may not have leaked. I’m sure you’ll get to the root of it, but a ride out into the peaks cos ya feel like it sounds a good idea. You lucky man. Here in Essex it’s as flat as a witches tit, not much good for BIG scenery to revitalise the soul!

Hmmmm…can’t remember about the waterpump Chris…it’ll come back to me in a bit thanks.

Yes, had a nice blatt over the Snake Pass and back this evening…bloody glorious.
Wont get chance to look now until Thursday.

Thanks.,

Tim.[8D]

That’s bad news, hope it doesn’t turn out to be a big job!

Hi Tiny Tim

I'M not ya man for this job but just like to wish you all the best on getting your leg over her soon ---------?

Terry

Sorry to hear your having troubles with ya VF. Its possibly due to having more than one stallion in the stables at the same time, I recently sold my second VF and kept the original one with the gear driven cams and she hasn’t gone better. Then a few months ago I purchased an 82 CB900C Custom imported from US with 3100Miles on the clock (only one in OZ registerd, And the VF has had to have a new battery fitted, the fuel tap is leaking on reserve, and wears tyres out at an extraordinary rate.

Mate, get rid of the BBird and concentrate on the VF there so much more fun to ride.

quote:
Originally posted by hydra2172

Hi Tiny Tim

I'M not ya man for this job but just like to wish you all the best on getting your leg over her soon ---------?

Terry

Errr, yes, I think I know what you mean hydra…Cheers…LOL[:I]

quote:
Originally posted by Paul F

Sorry to hear your having troubles with ya VF. Its possibly due to having more than one stallion in the stables at the same time, I recently sold my second VF and kept the original one with the gear driven cams and she hasn’t gone better. Then a few months ago I purchased an 82 CB900C Custom imported from US with 3100Miles on the clock (only one in OZ registerd, And the VF has had to have a new battery fitted, the fuel tap is leaking on reserve, and wears tyres out at an extraordinary rate.

Mate, get rid of the BBird and concentrate on the VF there so much more fun to ride.

Hi Paul…“get rid of the BB?”…you have to be joking [:D]…just got back from a couple of days in Wales (the proper one!)…800 miles on the BB…and awesome roads and weathger…It doesn’t get any better than that really.

yea, know what you mean about too many in the stable…You still got the CX500Turbo(s)?

Have just whipped the water pump out and the end seal lip looks damaged. Haven’t done anything yet…but the manual says the unit should be changed…can the seal on the end be changed? Can the pump be dismantled?

Thanks in anticipation…

[
Have just whipped the water pump out and the end seal lip looks damaged. Haven’t done anything yet…but the manual says the unit should be changed…can the seal on the end be changed? Can the pump be dismantled?

Thanks in anticipation…

[/quote]

Yep, the manual says you cant dismantle the pump. But the oil seal pressed into the rear of the unit(drive side)around the shaft is a standard oil seal, similar to any other, like the selector shaft or clutch pushrod seal. If this is the damaged one you mentioned, then picking it out with a sharp tool should be possible, then its a case of simply measuring the dimensions to obtain a replacement from any component supplier. Most seals have the dimensions marked on the face, so once removed you could read them off your old one. Refitting is just a case of taking care to press it in straight, I’d use a close fitting socket or similar and a wipe of oil around the edge to assist its insertion.

Hi Tim,
good to meet up at the stafford show last week. You mentioned the oil seal looked damaged on the water pump. Don’t know for sure as I’ve never striped a pump, but I would imagine that there is a mehanical seal behind it, usualy carbon or something similar spring loaded onto a mating face of hardened steel etc. if this face is damaged water will leak past. Water pumps don’t usually just use oil seals! the other thing that springs to mind is that the head should be idealy be re-torqued down after the engine is run after a rebuild.
This is something my father tought me ( a trained mechanic, now retired ).
I have seen pump rebuid kits available on the web which include machanical seals but may be cheaper to try a used pump first!!.

Also agree with the comment that the imulsified oil could be down to short running periods, my old CB750fb used be bad for this - no water cooling!!
Regards Mark

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Anyrode, got another pump off Team Bif thanks, and that’s just fitted. At the mo’ I am too busy with other stuff and S.A.D. is fast approaching. I have also lost, albeit temporarily, my enthusiasm. It and I shall return.

Good to meet up with you too Mark…also managed to find and say hello to Bif.

Miti-babe…just missed ya fella…The guys on the XS1100 stand said you’d found a gay young man and had taken him back to ya tent to introduce him to the delights of the flesh.

Nic e to have nearly met ya ![:D]

Glad bif could sort you out Tim. Just bagged a NOS waterpump myself to go on my VF, as the old one was looking a little corroded. Hopefully that should prevent any troubles for me along the same lines.