My workshop cometh(not before time)!

Well it’s now about to happen! The concrete base is laid, and my carpenter mate has agreed to build me a wooden workshop for the cost of materials, plus copious amounts of beer and food, at the end of this month. Then it just remains to get the power to it for lights and sockets and it’s done. Then the project can come out of the cold draughty dark council garage and into a clean and dry environment for it and me!!![:)]

quote:
Originally posted by scratcher

Well it’s now about to happen! The concrete base is laid, and my carpenter mate has agreed to build me a wooden workshop for the cost of materials, plus copious amounts of beer and food, at the end of this month. Then it just remains to get the power to it for lights and sockets and it’s done. Then the project can come out of the cold draughty dark council garage and into a clean and dry environment for it and me!!![:)]

Nice one Scratcher…I spent many a year working in a cold bloody council garage, no lecky and a bloody paraffin Storm Lamp…!!!..They aint fun are they…[:D]

Now the shell is up. 4x2 timber framework and 18mm plywood external panelling, rawl-bolted into the concrete base and SOLID!! This baby isn’t coming down anytime soon!! Another mate is gonna pop over this week and do a proper job of the roofing and we’re using a solid wood door with a yale lock and concealed hinges(for security). Then I just got to get the lights and power rigged up and I’m away!!! The retreat is nearly complete!!

Scratcher…

Before you get your tools & stuff moved into you new palace, I recommend you insulate it with 75mm Kingspan and dry line the interior with 10mm (reflective coated) gyproc board… You’ll thank me for this tip, believe me…

Miti

Cheers for the tip Miti. I’ve got some rolls of insulation, but was gonna use plywood to line the inside so I could hang shelving and hooks and stuff as I reckoned plasterboard would be too weak to hang stuff from?

quote:

Cheers for the tip Miti. I’ve got some rolls of insulation, but was gonna use plywood to line the inside so I could hang shelving and hooks and stuff as I reckoned plasterboard would be too weak to hang stuff from?

WE want some pics Scratcher…soon as it’s ready…You having a workshop warming Party?[^]

quote:

Plywood is good, but you’ll need to be using 10mm if you want to hang stuff off of it… My guess is that you’ll be looking for the shed upright supports to hang stuff off of, so either ply or gyproc will do…

Miti

Spent all day making/fitting the door frame from new timber and hanging the door(it used to be a front door so has a Yale and a deadlock). Switched the door round so it opens outwards instead of inwards and spent many a happy hour[:(!] switching locks around!!! Fitted the deadlock and just the Yale to reverse then it’s secure. Well, at least until I cut the holes for the windows!!! Gonna try and spread some sealant tomorrow onto the concrete base if the weather holds(sunny, but cold here). Fitted a couple of d/glazed windows in place this weekend so it’s got some natural light now too[8D]

And, do not forget couple of adjustable 4 inch vents, it is good to have some air circulating. One/two near the floor to have fresh air, and other(s) close to ceiling to remove gas smell. I assume, that your walls/doors and windows are about air-tight. And do not forget to insulate ceiling too, most of the heat goes away from there.

Well I’ve been pretty busy with the workshop lately! It’s now lined and insulated on 3 of the four walls(the door end wall is where the power is coming in so that will be done then). I’ve fitted a couple of 4 inch closeable vents and completed the interior walls with satin white emulsion to maximise reflected light. Then, having sealed and painted the concrete floor, I finished it off with some reclaimed carpet tiles I got for 50p each! In a plain dark grey, they will hide any oil spills etc. Just gotta dig the armoured cable trench from the house, drill through the house wall and the workshop wall to feed it through and terminate it and I can fix up the lights and sockets! Woohoo!

Just food for thought… I’ve fitted my workshop with a small electric fan-heater (set on the lowest warm setting) and a frost-stat… If the temperature in the workshop gets down to 3 Degrees C the stat switches the heater on… Saves all the aerosols and emulsion paints from frost damage… I wired these in as part of the planned electrical installation, so the stat doesn’t take up a valuable socket outlet… Just thought you’d be interested…

Miti

If I have it right, here should be a piccy of my workshop, all done, with power, carpet tile floor, bench, racking and the VF in lots of pieces! Here goes!

From this…

To this…

Looks great! I can’t see the beer fridge tho…it must be just out of camera shot[:D]
It would be nice to have a sealed area to work, its very dry here at the moment so lots of problems with dust, very annoying, trying to keep things dust free!

At last Scratcher…well done mate…looks the dogs…but like the Oz says…where’s the beer fridge ( well spotted planty)[8D]

I’m one of those rare alcohol free types! Not a religous nutter or recovering alcoholic, just never got into the stuff and anyways, whats wrong with a nice cuppa!

Since my last post,I’ve got organised and work on the bike has actually begun! The frame is away at the painters having been blast cleaned and zinc coated. The motor is on the bench, minus cylinder heads which have been stripped and measured. Ordering some valve guides, but other than that, the front head seem in good order. The rear is a little worse. It’s salvageable, but the exhaust valve seats are pitted, the exhaust valve guides are worn beyond limits and one of the cooling fins is broken off at the corner. To repair all that could cost a pretty penny, so I elected to buy the last remaining NOS head from Dave Silvers for £97 delivered, as it comes with all new seats and guides anyway and no broken fins(I hope!)The old one is worth keeping as a spare due to the good condition of the cam bearings, but for the rebuild, new is the cheaper option in this case.