Hi, I just bought a VF1000F (1984), I’ve had lots of bikes but this is my first V4 Honda, it had been sitting for about 8 years and so I have to go through everything.
I have adjusted the valves to 0.005, changed the oil (Esso Extra 10w40), changed the coolant, changed the fuel filter, new plugs, new battery, it had a K&N air filter so I washed and re-oiled it, added some premium gas with some varnish dissolver and it runs not too bad.
I’m thinking of adding a Dave Dodge oiling mod. kit, and I still have to re-do the front forks. The chain and sprockets don’t look too bad but they do have some wear on them, I’m thinking of changing the stock tooth count from 17-43 to something lower, has anybody done this and if so what are you running and what RPM are you running in 5th @110km?

Another question, I’m wondering if in the past someone changed the side stand becuase when I use it the bike is standing just about straight up and very easy to tip over, is this normal for this bike?

Also what kind of tires are you guys running, I need some of those as well. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by 900F

Hi, I just bought a VF1000F (1984), I’ve had lots of bikes but this is my first V4 Honda, it had been sitting for about 8 years and so I have to go through everything.
I have adjusted the valves to 0.005, changed the oil (Esso Extra 10w40), changed the coolant, changed the fuel filter, new plugs, new battery, it had a K&N air filter so I washed and re-oiled it, added some premium gas with some varnish dissolver and it runs not too bad.
I’m thinking of adding a Dave Dodge oiling mod. kit, and I still have to re-do the front forks. The chain and sprockets don’t look too bad but they do have some wear on them, I’m thinking of changing the stock tooth count from 17-43 to something lower, has anybody done this and if so what are you running and what RPM are you running in 5th @110km?

Another question, I’m wondering if in the past someone changed the side stand becuase when I use it the bike is standing just about straight up and very easy to tip over, is this normal for this bike?

Also what kind of tires are you guys running, I need some of those as well. Thanks.

Hiya 99F…welcome to vf1000.com

I can’t help with much at this moment as I’m as busy as fook…but the side stand should give a good angle of lean. If I remember correctly, and I’ll go and check and get back to you, your valve settings are not right…too tight.

The experts will help in a while…be patient as it’s pretty slow here…but we are alive LOL[8D]

Hello 99F
You seem to be done almost all, which is necessary. Side stand should be as TinyTim says, has somebody lowered the bike somehow ?
I have done DD oil mod in my F2, and at least it gives a peace of mind…
I use standard sprockets, engine runs about 4500 in 100 kmh (local limit); my tires are Bridgestone BT45, they seem to be OK to my driving habits. Did not like Pirelli Sport Demons.

Welcome 900F,if you swap to an 18t front sprocket you will be running the same rpm/kmh as Kajaani.Both PAJ and BUD run this gearing without any problem.We used a sprocket from a CB750FA but I think the 900 also uses an 18t.Tyres are becoming a problem for the 16"wheel however michelin do a radial to suit.the BT45s take a bit of beating if you want to stay with bias plys.Regards BIF

Thanks for the replies, as for tires I ordered a pair of Dunlop GT501’s (they were recommended by a few people locally), now going back to all my tune-up work that I did TinyTim says my valve adjustment is too tight @ 0.005, can anybody shed some light on this subject and let me know what it should be (I was following the service manual).
Hey dnapekko you may be right in that the bike could have been lowered in the past, my front forks are in rough condition, I have a used pair ordered and all the new seals to rebuild them so I will see how they compare, but would it be possible for someone to measure their side stand length for me (from the bolt center-line to the angle where the foot is). Thanks.

Hi 900F, my side stand measures 240mm from the center of the bolt hole to the top of the foot at the angle.
I have just rebuilt my front forks, I changed all the bushes as well as the seals on the internal pistons and oil/dust seals, also found that the rubber ‘O’ ring on the inside of the anti dive case was perished and hard, possibly binding up the action of the oil damper piston.
I haven’t got them back on the bike yet but they are noticeably stiffer and will hopefully be much improved!

Hallo guys,

My side stand it’s 240 mm from center bolt to foot, and also my front forks would need some rebuild…

I experience some oil presence into the alternator cover. Do someone have the same problem?

i think probably some oil seals is worn, but i don’t know if i can change it by myself.
If someone has some idea i 'll appreciate

bye
JB

Hi JB,

If you mean that when you remove the alternator cover there is oil present, don’t worry as this is normal. See section 9 in the service manual as it mentions this.

Cheers

Thank you Vf1000F for the reply, you’re right.In effects in section 9 it says to collect oil that will drain from alternator cover when removed.This makes me feel a lot better now…[8)]
Perhaps it is better to open and drain the oil every now and then…who knows…
You’ve been very helpful
Many thanks VF1000F

p.s. please sorry for my poor english, be patient, i’m not native

JB

Hi, I finally got the bike on the road and it runs great (other then a hot starting issue), I changed my sprokets to 16 & 44 and it’s running at 5500 @ 117km, 80km in 1st @ 10,000, 160km in 3rd at 10,000. So far the GT501 tires are holding great (we’ll see how they stand up over time), I rebuilt the front forks and all is working good and that also raised the front end so the bike has some good lean on the side stand now.