New to me VF1000RE

Hi all,

Just bought a nice 1984 VF1000RE, Brisbane Australia. Picked it up two days ago. It’s in pretty good original condition. I plan to fit a new rear shock as the original is done., I’ll try to keep is as original as possible to keep with the bike’s heritage.

Smithy.

8 Likes

Nice cuz !!
That will help me get started on mine !!
I have a set of USD forks and a VFR750 swingarm , wheel and shock to go in the back of my VF100F

1 Like

Fantastic Smithy, another Ozzie R hits the road!
Looks like a nice clean example, great score.

1 Like

Yeah…I had another RE years ago, bought it as a big “box” of parts for $1500 and slowly restored it…unfortunately I had to sell it due to moving house from Sydney to Brisbane ~6 years ago…but regretted it every day since…finally found this nice example up here in Brisvegas and a week later it’s in my shed. :grin: Everything works and the engine is super quiet, not rattles or ticking rockers etc, runs nice and cool too, no excessive temp rise when sitting in traffic and the fans actually work…only has 26,700km on it…that’s only 667.5km per year over the last 40 years…! Rear shock was essentially not working, they were junk even when new… so I “pre ordered” a YSS shock with custom spring to match my weight and it’s so much better and compliant… Might also see if a new set of springs and custom valves in the forks will help…hopefully it will now handle as it was meant to. Still have some minor things needing done but overall I’m pretty happy with it.

Smithy.

Ha, I know about “the big box of parts” experience!
Mine is getting close to completed, more a rebuild than a complete resto. I was lucky and picked up a Hagon NOS shock, that alone saves a few kgs.

1 Like

Good luck with the “rebuild”.