New vf1000f owner question

I just brought home an 84 vf1000f for a winter resto project, I’m going over stuff and finding things that need repair or replacing, one question for now, I’m sure the first of many to come is Inwas going to check the air pressure of the the rear shock and when I pressed the air valve to see if there was pressure a little oil squirted out, if I continued to press it maybe more oil would come out but I didn’t. I’m thinking this is not normal, anyone had this issue? I’m from St Lazare Quebec and I will look over this site better and properly introduce myself in the right place.

Welcome to the group.

I asked the exact same question about mine.

It’s normal for a bit of oil to escape when checking the pressure, so don’t worry about it.

As an aside, the method in the book for draining the oil is to take the air valve core out and pump it up and down.

Thanks for the reply Chrisb, I did press the valve again and a little more oil came squirting out but really not much, the rear shock feels very soft and I feel it will bottom out easily, I think I’ll be on the look out for a better shock or if it’s worth having this one rebuilt if it’s even possible

Does it hold air pressure over a reasonable time period? If it does, and it’s not leaking oil, I’d just up the air pressure a bit.

Rebuilding the Showa shock is almost impossible from my experience. The seals and bushes are unobtanium, and if the transfer damping restrictors are worn, it’s game over.

There is a place in the States that purports to be able to do overhauls, but…

The option most people go for is an after market replacement. I’m told YSS do a good one that won’t break the bank. If you still want to be able to remotely adjust the rebound though (important to me because of carrying the Memsahib on the back), you’ll need a second mortgage.

With mine, I run it at 28psi in the back and up it to 35 when two up. It’s suits my lardy frame well.

There’s a detailed description in the maintence book how to disasamble and rebuild the rear shock. But it’s a big effort and if there are no spare parts it’s senseless. At the end of the day the result will not be the same like an alternative product from YSS, Hyperpro or Wilbers. I’m using a Hyperpro with adjustable length. With the refurbished fork, the driving nearly is on the same level like my new bikes.

From what I have read and advise from the forum seems pointless to try to rebuild this shock, I will probably run it next summer and see how it feels but I will be on the look out for an affordable replacement. It’s not my primary bike so not such a big deal if it has to sit for a bit, but saying that who knows I may have more fun riding this bike.