Oil and Coolant

…my '84 FE is almost ready for her fluids…what is todays recommendation please…[8D]

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

Hydraulics - use any good quality DOT 4 Brake/Clutch Fluid (I buy mine at autojumbles - presently using Vauxhall’s own brand at £1 per litre - no questions asked…!)

Coolant - You need a good quality, ethylene/glycol based antifreeze that is suitable for aluminium engines (most are nowadays, but it should say so on the label…) I usually use 50/50 water/antifreeze… Not so much for the possibility of the system freezing, but for the corrosion inhibiting factors… The cast metal cylinder liners on the VF are directly exposed to the coolant and without some good corrosion inhibitors, they’ll rust up in no time…!!

Oil - Your choice… These engines live and die on their oils…!! I’ve been using Chevron Supreme 5W50 Fully Synthetic in my FE… It’s about £12 for 4lt, so it’s about the cheapest fully synthetic you’ll ever see (bought from Costco). I have good compression on my FE and the bike is well serviced, but she burns this oil and rattles when hot, so I’ll be moving on… Next choice is the stuff I use in all my other bikes & cars… Chevron Supreme 10W40 Mineral Oil… My XS1100 - “Dinobike” loves the stuff, so doew the wife’s FJ1200 and our Toyota Previa… None of them seem to “consume” the stuff in quantities worth any note and the car has just a shade under 200K miles on it… It’s a twin cam, 16 valve engine, running mostly on LPG and it’s been running this oil for the past 80K miles, so I’m content that it’s a quality product…

Also… I have the Dave Dodge oil mod fitted to my bike… I have no doubts whatsoever that it’s made an enormous difference to the longevity on my FE engine… You may wish to consider the same mod to your newly rebuilt FE…? I have the details if you do and there is NO better time to be buying stuff in from USA with £1 = $1.99…

I hope that lot helps Tim…!

Miti

MITI-BABE
Sunny Scotland - North(ish)
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

quote:
Originally posted by Miti-Babe

Hydraulics - use any good quality DOT 4 Brake/Clutch Fluid (I buy mine at autojumbles - presently using Vauxhall’s own brand at £1 per litre - no questions asked…!)

Coolant - You need a good quality, ethylene/glycol based antifreeze that is suitable for aluminium engines (most are nowadays, but it should say so on the label…) I usually use 50/50 water/antifreeze… Not so much for the possibility of the system freezing, but for the corrosion inhibiting factors… The cast metal cylinder liners on the VF are directly exposed to the coolant and without some good corrosion inhibitors, they’ll rust up in no time…!!

Oil - Your choice… These engines live and die on their oils…!! I’ve been using Chevron Supreme 5W50 Fully Synthetic in my FE… It’s about £12 for 4lt, so it’s about the cheapest fully synthetic you’ll ever see (bought from Costco). I have good compression on my FE and the bike is well serviced, but she burns this oil and rattles when hot, so I’ll be moving on… Next choice is the stuff I use in all my other bikes & cars… Chevron Supreme 10W40 Mineral Oil… My XS1100 - “Dinobike” loves the stuff, so doew the wife’s FJ1200 and our Toyota Previa… None of them seem to “consume” the stuff in quantities worth any note and the car has just a shade under 200K miles on it… It’s a twin cam, 16 valve engine, running mostly on LPG and it’s been running this oil for the past 80K miles, so I’m content that it’s a quality product…

Also… I have the Dave Dodge oil mod fitted to my bike… I have no doubts whatsoever that it’s made an enormous difference to the longevity on my FE engine… You may wish to consider the same mod to your newly rebuilt FE…? I have the details if you do and there is NO better time to be buying stuff in from USA with £1 = $1.99…

I hope that lot helps Tim…!

Miti

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Cheers Miti…and as for the DD Mod…yes please could you e-mail me any details pics prices etc. Much appreciated…
Tim

timhavard@btinternet.com

Tim

Dave Dodge:

DODGE RACING PRODUCTS
16503 Glenfurness Drive
Huntersville, NC 28078
U.S.A.

Tel: (704) 892-7961
Fax: (704) 892-7961
E-Mail: info@drp123.com

Some info here: (bit old)
http://www.v4honda.com/knowledgebase/Engine_Articles/Engine_DD207.htm

Full Details of Kit here:
http://www.honda-v4.com/sabmag/v4honda/oilmod-dd.html

Costs about $250 plus shipping… (About £150 ish) but IMHO worth every penny… I did a “real life” comparison of oil flow into the heads, with & without the mod, just cranking the engine without plugs in… (rocker covers off). Without the mod, it took an age for the oil to appear on the cams… With the mod, it took an age for me to clean up the damn mess the oil made all over the engine, floor, garage…!! WHAT a difference…!!

Miti

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

quote:
Originally posted by Miti-Babe

Tim

Dave Dodge:

DODGE RACING PRODUCTS
16503 Glenfurness Drive
Huntersville, NC 28078
U.S.A.

Tel: (704) 892-7961
Fax: (704) 892-7961
E-Mail: info@drp123.com

Some info here: (bit old)
http://www.v4honda.com/knowledgebase/Engine_Articles/Engine_DD207.htm

Full Details of Kit here:
http://www.honda-v4.com/sabmag/v4honda/oilmod-dd.html

Costs about $250 plus shipping… (About £150 ish) but IMHO worth every penny… I did a “real life” comparison of oil flow into the heads, with & without the mod, just cranking the engine without plugs in… (rocker covers off). Without the mod, it took an age for the oil to appear on the cams… With the mod, it took an age for me to clean up the damn mess the oil made all over the engine, floor, garage…!! WHAT a difference…!!

Miti

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)

Cheers bud…and yea i think I read up on this some time ago…had forgotten.

Err…you don’t want to send me your part and then I can get a few made up in work for nowt…do you?[;)][8D]

[:D]

Tim

Tight git…!![:D]

Here’s the drawing - why not set up a production line and make us all one…

As well as the adapter bolt and “distributer” plate, you need also need the two right-angled pipe fittings, and two pipes anding in banjo fittings - the pipes look like ordinary braided steel brake hoses, but they’re not… They’re the next size up…

Looks like this:

Miti

MITI-BABE
VF1000FE - (MB6 - '84)
XS1100S - (5K7 - '85)