Project vf1000R

thanks chaps, I can taste the beer already :partying_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while since I posted on this thread, to be honest Iā€™d forgot about it, the bike wasnā€™t ready for the annual scottish trip, but it did get assembled and made both wales trips and a few blasts around north Yorkshire etc.
So this winter Iā€™m just fine tuning a few things, the rear brake line needs to be a bit longer as it will pull a little tight when I pull the wheel back to tension the chain.
I managed to acquire a uk tank from bif, that will need repainting " many thanks bif".
There are a few other cosmetic issues to address, also been working on fitting an after market fuel pump, Iā€™ll post some info on that when itā€™s done.
Iā€™ve had a couple of seats recovered by tony archer, one for this bike and one for another project I may start later this year.
20200307_092511

3 Likes

Wow, those look great. Iā€™ve gotten pretty good doing my own. For some reason upholsterers around here think they are Godā€™s hand. I donā€™t mind paying decent money for decent work, but they are rediculous for just new vinyl.

Please update on the fuel pump. Iā€™ve got a couple that are starting to make me nervous.

Cheers

Hi Pete, looking great, just wondering what paint you are using on your bits or are they powder coated?

These days I tend to use a mixture of different paint types and coatings
Most of the black engin parts, battery cage small brackets etc, are powder coated.
All plastics I use either water based or acrylic with a 2 pack lacquer. I also use rattle cans with lacquer over for some small bits.
I keep mulling over the idea of letting someone else spray the bodywork, itā€™s so time consuming preparing, repairing, spraying laquering and finishing, and Iā€™m no painter, sometimes it looks good, sometimes not quite so, but itā€™s the part of a project everyone looks atā€¦

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean, I have used a paint here in oz called KBS coatings , on the engine l used their motor coater, and on the others parts chassis blacktop, it is a solvent based single pack that supposedly dries rock hard but flexible, time will tell. But itā€™s not available in spray can form, so makes it a hassle

So, a little bit about the fuel pump, as most of you will know the vf1000ff, f2f, and rf fuel pumps are no longer available.
Many people seem to be fitting the cbr600 pumps which have straight outlets, Iā€™ve never been happy with how the pipe would have to bend to keep the pump on the same place, also, after dismantling a few of the Ā£20 ebay special pumps, and the genuine Mitsubishi originals I can confirm that the ebay pumps are pretty poor quality.
The thing with fuel pumps is, you have to remember you have petrol at one side and a spark at the other, it looks really easy if the cheap pump diaphragm split for fuel to pass through the pump to the spark side which wouldnā€™t be good.
So after quite a bit of research i found the tourmax vfr750 pump, Iā€™m assuming these are made by Mitsubishi for tourmax as they have the logo stamped on the end, the vent tube is also same as the vf1000.20200313_213230
Ive shortend the fuel pump in and outlets, shortened a 90Ā° elbow and connected then together using good quality clips, the rest is pretty much self explanatory, I may change the plastic elbows for brass when I find suitable onesā€¦
The other thing to consider in all this is, the UK government have plans to introduce E10 fuel, which will have double the amount of corrosive ethanol , so for for fuel lines I am only using the SAE 30 R9 fuel hose which is the most modern on the market and supposed to be able to withstand 95% ethanol,
What Iā€™ve done above is only a work in progress, and will probably be fine tuned.20200313_213454
20200313_213341
20200313_213058
Fuel filter runs at an angle between shock and catch can, it dosent touch or rub on anything
20200314_095319
This is a 30 year old running pump diaphragm, as you can see there is a fair bit of cracking.
20200313_212948
The other good thing about the vfr750 tourmax pump is the cable is longer and easily reaches the wiring harness conector.

2 Likes

Pete,your a bit of a genius

2 Likes

How much does the pump with your added magic touches cost @vf_pete ?

Hi peter, the tourmax pump was Ā£86,
Ebay item number 401705547979
Not cheap but the advantages over the cheap cbr600 pumps makes it worth it in my view,
Fuel hose and connectors are all available on ebay and probably in any good auto spares,

Bif, the words pete and genius arnt often used in the same sentence, :joy::joy:

1 Like

Just updating this post, the fuel pump with the shortened in and outlets proved to be problematic, after a few hundred miles of riding and a few heat cycles, the rubber hoses hardened, allowing air to be drawn into the pump, which eventually air locked the system, I think someone on here suggested moving the pump back 10 mm in the bracket so you could retain the flared ends on the pump outlets, I havenā€™t tried it yet but it looks feasible,

On another point my fairings arrived back from dream machine a few weeks before we all headed to scotland, Iā€™m happy with the results, although there are a few bits that arenā€™t quite rite, but as a whole they are pretty good.

20200722_183750

20200722_183735

20200722_183716

20201104_010320

5 Likes