Reaching screw No.2

Hello, have you got any advice for me how to reach Carb sync srew number 2 ? The short end of my 90 degree srew driver is still too long. Any combination I´ve tried with flexible shafts, 7mm nut, cardanjoint, extensions, etc. didn`t work.
If I lie flat on the the right side of the bike, I can reach the srew with the long bladed carb adjustment srewdriver, but not good enough to do a proper adjustment. All in all it´s a toture…
Thanks for your tips!
Best wishes
Joe

Hi joe,
An Allen key with a 7mm socket on the end is what I use.

1 Like

Hi there, Hi Pete,
I’m a little embarrassed but I can’t get this right.
The screw number 2 is hidden behind the shaft of the idle adjustment screw, the pipe between the water pump and cyl no 2, and a tiny oil pipe. Whatever tool I use, I have to thread it through these obstacles. At least when I try it fom the left side.Tried a long allen key with a 7 mm nut on top, but the nut is too thick. Cut off the head of my angle screw driver, that fits through, but unfortunately in the wrong angle to hit the grove correctly. Do you have the fuel tank off, when synching? Know what? I leave it as it is, in the end it´s just a challenge, no 2 is not that much out of synch… If anybody could send a photo of the tool he uses…

Thanks and regards
Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe, it is definitely not easy but can be done. Sometimes it’s easier to stop the engine and twist throttle till the screw is in an easier place to adjust then re start engine and see if it’s worked also try from both sides of the bike. Good luck!

Garyb

1 Like

Hi Gary and Pete,

thanks for your advice. Finally i´ve managed to find a nearly proper adjustment. I´d taken out the complete carburettor unit, set number 4 with the idle adjustment screw and then adjusted the butterflies of the other three carbs to the one of number for with a feeler gauge.
After that I did the final synch with my carbtune device, and thank god, now have my VF very close to where I want it to be. Starts good, idles good, braking is very good, cornering is 16 inch like, what else? Oh, I have to refill the fuel tank since the engine was idling for hours during my synchronization attemps, so I will leave a messsage if there is any change in consumption ( 9ltrs/100km!). By the way, can anybody tell me about the setting of the pilot screws on her/his bike?
Thank you guys!
Joe

The manual for the R says to gently screw all air screws till they are fully closed then back them out 2 full turns. You then need an accurate tachometer to finish the setup not the one on the bike but preferably a digital one. Keep Turning each pilot screw out a half turn until the engine speed decreases by 50 rpm. Then starting with carb 1 turn the pilot screw in till the engine speed drops by 50 rpm and then turn out one full turn. Do the same for other 3 carbs. It’s hard to detect such small drops in rpm specially if tick over is a bit lumpy. I did mine last week and it feels better for it and if you have balanced the carbs well the tick over may be nice and steady.

Garyb