rear camcover

hi guys this is probably a daft question, but bear with me… I wonder if you may be able to offer some advice. I have a VF1000r E and I’m having a hard time removing the rear camcover. The cover is loose but as soon it is lifted it gets wedged against the top frame rail on the left hand side. No amount of maneuvering seems to create enough space to lift it out. The manual clearly states that tappets can be adjusted with the engine in the frame. Do you know if there is a simple technique that needs to be used. I’ve just joined this merry band and any help would be much appreciated. A good site by the way…

Hi Peps…

Dunno about the RE, but the FE rear cyl hd cover is in 2 parts so that it’ll come out a piece at a time… Check your manual to see what should be fitted… If it should have a 2-piece cover and a one piece (front?) cover has been fitted, then it’ll be an engine out job to get it off…[:0]

Miti

hi Miti, yeah, its 1 piece and here’s the odd thing, the manual states …‘and remove the camcover’ clearly showing the engine in place… I may just be me, but I can’t get the ship out of the bottle…

hi peps.im not sure about the re, but my fe has a one peice cam cover on the rear head,and it is a devil riddle off…normally i remove the coils,unclip the wireing harness from the frame side rail and pull out of the way. split the fuel line which runs on the other side rail and move well out of way…disconect the crank case breather pipe from the cam cover (also the breather pipe which links the cam cover to the crank case. i find it best to remove this from the cam cover end)…you need to make as much room as poss around the head…then i riddle the cam covr forward and side to side…the back edge of the cover will touch the camchain cogs as it passes over them,it is tight but should go,[:(!]…

pete.

ok many thanks for that Pete, I’ll give it another go…

I had similar problem with my F2f, trying, twisting, turning, and all of the sudden it came out. Putting it back was another case, but it can be done. I recommend to fix the gasket with RTV into cover; at least I did so.

Yep, its eff-ing fiddly, but it will come out with a little patience and perseverance.