Restoring a VF1000F 85

Hi guys, my VF has done 45000 KM the bike is in good shape. The paint has faded and ive been thinking to restore the bike back to its stock showroom paint. Some conservative buddies say that repainting a stock bike will reduce the classic value. The bike still has side stand rubbers and stickers and bits. Nicely taken care of but i somehow feel that the baby needs a paint.

Pls advise and suggest how to start the whole process. The engine is perfect. all it needs is a paint job and replacement of some bits and peices that look old.

Biking, Brunch & Babes: the three great pleasures of life.

quote:
Originally posted by revhappy

Hi guys, my VF has done 45000 KM the bike is in good shape. The paint has faded and ive been thinking to restore the bike back to its stock showroom paint. Some conservative buddies say that repainting a stock bike will reduce the classic value. The bike still has side stand rubbers and stickers and bits. Nicely taken care of but i somehow feel that the baby needs a paint.

Pls advise and suggest how to start the whole process. The engine is perfect. all it needs is a paint job and replacement of some bits and peices that look old.

Biking, Brunch & Babes: the three great pleasures of life.

Hi revhappy…I really think you ought to consider something newer…and pass that old thing you’ve got, with the flaky paint, onto ME…[:D][:D]

Welcome mate…good site but we really need some fookin input from the silent members…including myself…[8D]

Any pictures of her?

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

Hi Revhappy. I’m in the same boat(I think).Just bought a similar machine and about to start restoring it. Any probs u come up against I would also be interested in…

quote:
Originally posted by 310NAG

Hi Revhappy. I’m in the same boat(I think).Just bought a similar machine and about to start restoring it. Any probs u come up against I would also be interested in…

Hi revhappy and 310NAG,

My VF1000FE paint was looked after by the previous owner under a cover, in a shed all its life and the paint is in good shape but has still faded across the top of the front guard, fairing, tank and ducktail. I’ve looked into having it painted to original specs (Red/Black/White) but have been warned to get someone expeirenced in doing this type of paint work on bikes. Local car spray painters won’t have a go, as it has something to do with spraying the parts with heavy metal flake silver and various top coats of clear red tinted top coat. (possibly more difficult than a car)
So be carefull and make sure the painter knows what there doing as I’ve seen a lot of total colour changes to mates bikes, all to cover up shoddy work.

Good luck.

P.S 310NAG what part of OZ you from, we might be able to exchange ideas over a beer some day.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia