Sabre big block conversion?

Just curious if anyone has ever used Sabre components to get more cc’s for their VF?
I realise that the cases are different cause of the shaft drive, but may be possible to use cylinder sleeves and crank?
This is from an Aussie, who has only ever seen one Sabre over here……

The sleeves on the Sabres and Magnas are cast into the crankcase like the VF750Fs unlike the VF1000F/Rs which are pressed in wet liners. Also, the cam drive is via a silent Morse chain so if you used the bigger stroke of the Sabre/Magna crank you’d need that type of chain and cam sprocket and guides/tensioners. Could be possible if you bore out the VF1000 liners and find pistons to suit. Yes, I’ve thought about it!

It is not worth the effort. You gain some extra HP, but the bike has enough. You only need it if you cannot impress with yourself :shushing_face:

1 Like

In fact, nothing can be used from a V65 Saber, the engine rotate the wrong way! I own them both, in fact I own the whole family (Vf1000F SC15, VF1000F II SC19, VF1000FG SC19, VF1000R SC16 & VF1000R SC20) and the best way to get more BHP, more torque and a snappier engine is to bore the VF 1000 liners, to fit '1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 pistons with lightly machined valve pockets. One of the members of the French V4H80 club, Miguel, has done this on his VF1000F and has 100K km on it. I’m planning doing the same on the VF1000R SC20.

In fact the Morgo pistons from the GSXR are 100g lighter than the original ones, hence the new pep’s!

1 Like

[quote=“vf1000f.24, post:4, topic:4742, full:true”]
the best way to get more BHP, more torque and a snappier engine is to bore the VF 1000 liners, to fit '1992 Suzuki GSXR 1100 pistons with lightly machined valve pockets. One of the members of the French V4H80 club, Miguel, has done this on his VF1000F and has 100K km on it.[/quote]

What was his solution for a head gasket?

100grams is a lot. Re-balancing would be required as well.

26 ccm extra … if you need to rework your engine this could be an option. But none of us will “feel” the extra power if there is any :wink:

Aaah, great info, and discussion!
As @Faxe pointed out, the GSX pistons would be the way to go if undertaking a hot motor build.
Also realise that all the VFs without substantial chassis, wheel, brake mods already have adequate performance to show up the limitations!
Cheers
Greg