Start of an R project

Cleaned out the original set of carbs today. One carb in particular was really bad , looks like the dregs of fuel had drained into this carb with rusty watery sludge. The float needle was seized, and someone had tried to remove the pilot jet unsuccessfully, breaking the slot.See pic.
I had to cut another screwdriver slot with a Dremel, and then remove the butchered jet. Luckily had plenty of spare 38 pilot jets.
Refitted the carbs with used rubber boots, as I just want to run the motor properly and check it’s good.
One of the carb bodies had been butchered, and repaired with Araldite just under the where the diaphragm screws on. I’ve got a good spare body if I decide to use this set of carbs. Motor started up and ran fine, no nasty noises, revved well, looks like a good motor mechanically, cosmetically challenged!

Thanks Faxe, this bike is an 84 RE- carbs it came with coded 83 AAWD, and I have a spare set that Bif has ID’d as 85-86 Canadian spec. I think that set is 82CAVKJ
Have got a great range of carbs, jets and spares now!!!

Another update, but possible change of direction. A fellow VJMCC member was keen to reduce his project bikes, and blow me down, had most of an 84 RE minus motor, exhaust, carbs, and front subframe. This was about 1 kilometre from my house!
The great thing is, with the parts I already have, this one has the bits that I need, except for an instrument cluster. If I decide to, and can find instruments, I can build up a stock RE?
Q are the instruments the same as FE or FF? I’m aware the R have red marked faces. I have a seperate temp gauge, and if the clocks are the same I’ll just be looking for the gauge mounting.

Instruments are peculiar to the R I’m afraid,good news is Oz works in KMs and instruments from Europe pop up on fleabay regularly

Thanks Bif, jigsaw progresses!

To see what you need look here

What about gas tank (condition) and seat / rear fairing? From pic it looks you can only use plastic parts from that bike. :innocent: Hope the price is ok …

1 Like

@Faxe , thankfully tank is in brilliant condition, clean inside with no sign of rust. Outside paint is good with only a few chips in paint. Seat tail fairing are good and fibreglass seat hump is there in good condition, but presently seized on the fasteners.
I reckon it’s a fair price, local, with no running around!

Update.
Picked up the RE roller from about 1 km down the road, thanks Mike

Getting this rolling chassis and body panels looks like it has prompted a change in direction. I now have most parts to build an original type RE rather than the hybrid, or mongrel I had in mind.
Just looking at the bike when I got it home, you realise how big and heavy it is, even compared to my FFs. It’s a bit like a 80s muscle car, plenty of weight, plenty of power!
It’s going to be a long project……
Still need the side mesh panels, instruments, and fairing oil check hatch, but I’ve got a long way to go before stressing too much pics didn’t upload, will try posting below.

Pulled some of the bits off today, foot pegs,and master cylinders.
From the rusty threads on the mounting lugs for the fairing it looks like it has been a long time since this bike has run.
Decided to check that the front headlight/ fairing subframe from the other bike would fit. Loosely hung the headlight and bodywork on.
Lots of work to do!

3 Likes

Makes you wonder how someone could let what was a very expensive bike in its day get into this condition.
Lots of hours and money to get the fairings back to original condition but will be great to see the finished result and another RE saved.

Yes Jeremy, the last 2 owners just had it sitting around as a ‘one day’ project. I’d love to know what happened to the original motor?
My plan now is to get the motor started again in the other chassis, get it hot and do a compression test to ensure it’s in good condition, and doesn’t need a rebuild. Then will remove motor, and gradually start painting up motor and frame ready for the long process of rebuilding and painting the rest of the bike, and finding the missing hard to get parts, like instruments, black side panels, mirrors etc…
In the meantime, aiming to shift some of the VF stock with building up a special based on a FF, but with FE swingarm, CBR 1000 17-inch wheels and forks, and FE bodywork. The idea is to build something a little different and get some better brakes and better tyre choice. Will also see if I can set it up just a little lower, as I`m a shortarse. Hopefully setting it up with a Blackbird shock will help.

Pretty good examples of the ravages of weather and neglect in this pic of front calipers and clutch slave cylinder. They were all just hanging on their hoses exposed to the elements. Amazing what a combination of brake fluid and damp
can do. Luckily I have spares.

Wow - that is about as bad as I have seen.
Keep up the photos - always good to see how a project is progressing.

Bit more progress. I needed space, so decided to strip the latest roller down. Hung fairings and body parts up from shed roof to save space. Pulled forks and swing arm off the frame. Idea is to get a little Yamaha off my bike bench so I can get the straight R frame up for prep and painting.
Pics of RE frame beside a spare FE frame for comparison

1 Like

Amazed at what weather exposure has done to the bike, even steering head bearings were dry and rusty.
Spent a little time dismantling front brakes. Apart from the ss pins they’ll be a throw away!

1 Like

I can see the

• Good
  • Bad
  • Ugly
    in all these pictures
1 Like

Hey Speedy,
You could try some rust converter :rofl:

Interesting to see the different frames side by side.
It just emphasises the difficulties involved when trying to swap over parts from different models.

I must have missed the good?

@Jovimill absolutely, didn’t have the room to push them next to FF for another comparison. If I get a chance I will.