Starter motor required

Hi I have a c reg vf1000f2f and I am looking for a starter motor for it as mine is completely goosed

When I bought a R-motor, a VF750F starter motor was assembled in it. A friend wanted to get the starter fo his VF1000F, so I sold it to him, and he is still happy with it. As far as I know, VFR 90-93 starters fit VF1000 too, but check that fact before purchasing one… Starter of shaft drive models may fit physically, but thy spin in wrong direction.

Can they be reconditioned by auto electrical engineers I wonder ? Might be worth a try.

i have two spare starters in the garage, not sure of condition. will check them out and let you know.

garyb

Hi thanks for the replys,garyb can you give me a shout if you have a working starter if not I will look for a vf750f starter
Thanks again

paul.

i am working nights this week and will take them in and service them both, but before i send you one are you sure it is the motor and not the solenoid? i have not had a motor fail on me but have had two solenoids fail. to test remove right hand side panel and locate solenoid, remove the harness plug off the solenoid and pull back the insulating rubber boots covering the bolts on the two big cables, now you need to short the two bolts together using i big screwdriver or spanner making sure you do not short either to the frame!! if the starter spins it is the solenoid. you can get new ones from david silver for £49 follow link http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VF1000F/ or i can service old one for £10 plus postage and will return within 2 or 3 days. if the motor does not spin when you do test then it is the motor and i will send you one of mine ( email me your address ) another way of testing the motor is using jump leads, connect one end of red lead to battery +ve and the other end to the bolt on the motor that the big cable attaches to. let me know how you get on.

garyb

paul.
i have dug out my spare starter motors and there are two types, a black one with the cable attached at the front of motor ( nearest the engine ) and a plain metal one with the cable attached at the back of motor ( requires longer power cable ) also found a solenoid so will service all three so i can do a swap on the solenoid if required. if you want motor let me know the type.

garyb

Hi Gary thanks for the advice I will test the solenoid in the morning (I work nights aswell) and get back to you my starter has the cable on the front close to the engine
Cheers

Hi Gary I have done the checks it’s deffinately the starter motor that’s gone solenoid is switching ok

paul
youre up early! ive only just dragged myself out of bed and feel like death! 30 years of shift work and i still am not used to it! send me your address via email and i will post it off to you, if you send me yours i will service that so that i still have a good one as a spare. the going price on ebay seems to be about £30 but it could be as bad as the one you already have, the one i have is like new inside no wear at all, i dont want to profit from a vf1000.com member so to cover the cost of replacing the brushes i propose £20 is that ok? i am suprised it is the motor though as they seem pretty bullet proof unlike the solenoid wich sounds like it is switching but the contacts inside become oxidised and wont pass the required current. i will send you a solenoid as well and if you dont need it send it back with your motor.

garyb

Hi Gary I will email you my address now cheers

Hi Gary did you get my email ?

yes mate, will package up tomorrow and send monday. you should be able to get a fuel filter from david silvers follow the link in the 6th post in this topic. i will email you with my address and payment details.

garyb

Welcome ssevko, your English is great, look forward to hearing how you get on with your starter!

paul

got your email saying you recieved motor, did it work ok? if so the answer to kfrogzx7 question is yes they can be reconditioned but unlikely that an auto electrical place would have the correct brushes, they are available from cmsnl.com for about £12 and are not difficult to fit. the only other part that looks like it would ware out is the worm drive and i could not find a replacement for that as it is part of the commutator and would cost a fortune if available, everything else is solid though i should wait till i have serviced pauls before making that statement!!

garyb

Hi Gary yes it works spot on mate I’ve got another problem now since changing the fuel lines and filter it’s on starting on 2 cylinders now I’m getting fuel to the carbs and have a good spark on all 4 cylinders so I think the nearside carbs need cleaning now but as the starter goes it’s like new
Thanks again for your help Gary
Cheers
Paul

paul

your motor arrived today, will take it to work next week when i am on nights and try to service it, feels like a bearing may have gone. will post how i get on.

garyb

paul

stripped motor last night, then gave it the last rights and binned it! one of the segments of the commutator on the armature had vapourised and one of the brush holders had got so hot the brush had turned pink! the field windings are fine so have kept the casing and windings as spares.

garyb