top end oilers.

hi,just got my old vf 1000 fe out of a four year hibernation,had the usual storage probs , gummed up jets, rock hard and split carb rubbers,coolant leaks, leaking rear master cylinder. got thouse sorted now. untill i saw this website i thaught my vf was the only one in existance, thought theyd all gone to the big breakers in the sky,death by cam ware. Any how,to the point,dose any body know anything about the top end oilers ive seen on some american sites,dose anyone own one, or is any thing like that available in the uk, hope someone can advise,(already had one set of cams & rockers,dont fancy rubbing the lugs off another)

Hey Pete, welcome to the forum. The melting chocolate cams was more a problem with the 750’s by the time the 1000cc V-Four was over here the cam problem was pretty much resolved. There are still a lot of paranoid owners who worry about them. We’ve had a few engines open including mine which has well over 50,000 miles on the clock and the cams are perfect.

I think the oil mod is a good idea, so is regular servicing and warming the engine up properly. There is an article out there describing some testing the Honda techs did on this engine trying to abuse and basically destroy it, it came through it all. Anyone know the article I mean?

Hope you manage to get yours back on the road, wish the DVLA would give me the latest figures for VF’s registered in the UK…

Peter.

hi paj, thanks for the reassurance,Ive always been lucky. i changed my original cams at 36k miles, they were knocking severely, in hind site i could have probably got away with just changing the rocker arms,as they showed considerable ware.I also changed the main bearings on advice from one of my mates (diesle fitter).when i removed the sump and split the crankcase i found a 2 inch peice of hack saw blade wedged in the oil pump pick up strainer, closeing half the opening off. I suppose that dident help,Obviously the previous owner had lost something during some mechanical procedure (wants shooting).As you say im probably a bit paranoid,cant tell you how many times ive set and reset the valve clearances. i think my left ear is getting bigger keep listening every time i start it. anyway thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by vf pete

hi paj, thanks for the reassurance,Ive always been lucky. i changed my original cams at 36k miles, they were knocking severely, in hind site i could have probably got away with just changing the rocker arms,as they showed considerable ware.I also changed the main bearings on advice from one of my mates (diesle fitter).when i removed the sump and split the crankcase i found a 2 inch peice of hack saw blade wedged in the oil pump pick up strainer, closeing half the opening off. I suppose that dident help,Obviously the previous owner had lost something during some mechanical procedure (wants shooting).As you say im probably a bit paranoid,cant tell you how many times ive set and reset the valve clearances. i think my left ear is getting bigger keep listening every time i start it. anyway thanks again.

Hiya Pete. Where are you from then?[8D]

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

hi tim, thanks for the hello. barnsley, south yorkshire.your bike looks to be comeing on well, looks brill, is the frame painted or powder coated,and how did you get the cylinder heads to shine like that.A few years ago i tried to clean mine with a (mister fastner)polishing kit , not good.

quote:

hi tim, thanks for the hello. barnsley, south yorkshire.your bike looks to be comeing on well, looks brill, is the frame painted or powder coated,and how did you get the cylinder heads to shine like that.A few years ago i tried to clean mine with a (mister fastner)polishing kit , not good.

Barnsley eh…just up t’road from Sheffield then.

Yea, she’s coming along slowly…but I am soooo fookin sloqw it hurts…too many unwanted distractions likw a wife, two "kids2 and work!!!
Got the frame shot-blasted at work then Powder Coated at Spectrum Coatings. …a small unit off Junction 1 on the M18 at Hellaby. Did my frame and all other stuff black for £80. I’m very pleased. As for the rocker covers…had them polished…a bloke I know has his own business manufacturing Surgical Intruments…which also includes polishing![;)] Both covers cost me £15. Got my front fork legs on the 'Bird done too…£15 per leg.

We’ll have to meet up and swap notes. Actually I’m desperate to have a look at a VF1000…just to look at one or two finer points re fasteners and cable runs etc.

Give us a ring anytime Pete

07845 132361

Hello from Finland too,
I assembled a top end oiling kit (from Dave Dodge) into my F2 in previous winter. Cams were OK, the bike has 82000 km (about 51000 miles) on it, and the kit did not make any visible damage last summer ; ) . Althought I believe that the F2:s are most resistant to cam problems, they do already have line bored cams.
BTW, beautiful F2, PAJ. How do you like the touring screen? I found the original more convenient for my size of person (176 cm), less noise.

Kajaani, FINLAND
VF1000F2 -85, VF750S -82

quote:
Originally posted by PAJ

Hey Pete, welcome to the forum. The melting chocolate cams was more a problem with the 750’s by the time the 1000cc V-Four was over here the cam problem was pretty much resolved. There are still a lot of paranoid owners who worry about them. We’ve had a few engines open including mine which has well over 50,000 miles on the clock and the cams are perfect.

I think the oil mod is a good idea, so is regular servicing and warming the engine up properly. There is an article out there describing some testing the Honda techs did on this engine trying to abuse and basically destroy it, it came through it all. Anyone know the article I mean?

Hope you manage to get yours back on the road, wish the DVLA would give me the latest figures for VF’s registered in the UK…

Peter.

hi tim, thanks for the info on frame and head,If every thing holds together this summer i think ill strip it down and refurb this winter.Got a new tyre on order for back, should be able to m.o.t then and be on road, ill give you a bell, and pop down to sheff to have a look at your project (youll probably have it finished by then?)… pete

hi kajaani,is it winter or summer in finland?. thanks for the info on the top end oiler, going to look see if dave dodge has a web site…pete.

Hi, not been on here for a while, been busy getting the Vf1000fe
ready for its mot hopefully it should go through ok this week, the surface of my cams dont look too good,very slightly pitted and dull so I’m keeping a close watch on them, though I do have another set of cams off a basket case I have in the garage, I have been considering rebuilding that yet but I’m in two minds on what to do, by the way I,m in fitzwilliam near pontefract, not a stones throw away from barnsley or sheffield

quote:

hi tim, thanks for the info on frame and head,If every thing holds together this summer i think ill strip it down and refurb this winter.Got a new tyre on order for back, should be able to m.o.t then and be on road, ill give you a bell, and pop down to sheff to have a look at your project (youll probably have it finished by then?</font id=“size4”>)… pete

You gotta be joking Pete…I’m totally useless…what I could do with is to come up and have a look at yours…(oooooh eerrrr missus[;)])…just to study some of the finer points I may have missed.Gissa bell and if ya let me come up then I’ll let you have a look at and a feel of my Bird…

hi tim, you can come and have a look at the vf, ill bell you when ive got tyre sorted, dont know about feeling your bird . shes a bit too racy for me

hi philjo, i cant beleve it.for the last 10 years i thought mine was about the only vf left. now there comeing out the woodwork, your about 3 mile from me,im in royston…dose the farmers still serve beer at nine in morning (couldent work out weather they opened early or closed late…still had a thick head though)

Hello vfpete, winter in Kajaani, although getting warmer, +6 degrees today, still snow about 15 inch in garden, more promised next weekend. But summer will come, sure.

Kajaani, FINLAND
VF1000F2 -85, VF750S -82

Here is a link to the Honda V4 Cam Story by Robyn Landers

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

More V4 info from Robyn (albeit for the 750 Magna/Sabre) is here

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/moto_long.html

quote:
Originally posted by PAJ

Here is a link to the Honda V4 Cam Story by Robyn Landers

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

More V4 info from Robyn (albeit for the 750 Magna/Sabre) is here

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/moto_long.html

Thanks paj for getting us back on thread[;)]

…However…philjo…I often have a blat thru Royston on the 'Bird…Gissa bell and I can come and drink your coffee…and also have a look at your VF…(Shite…thought mine was the only one in Yorkshire[:(])

Again…my moby… 07845132361…[8D]

Oh yes, top end oilers…now where were we?[:D]

Hi, pete, back now I’v been away, not been to the farmers for years, use catch now as its at the end of the road, hopefully the Vf should go through its mot this week, I want to get it painted back to original colours, I resprayed it last summer in ford imperial blue in a moment of madness, also because I had a couple of litres of basecoat spare, if ever you need a hand with anything giz a shout, I’m only about 10 minutes away