Transmission Backlash

I have owned my 1985 vf1000f2 bol’dor for 18yrs total mileage 30k it is a pity that the transmission has always suffered with serious backlash even when I first acquired it with £12k on the clock.
Any cure for this as it is a real negative on what is a well engineered bike.

Seems to be a common feature on these bikes. Probably not helped by the ‘back torque limiter’(one way clutch)fitted to the clutch centre on these bikes. Even in new condition it was commented on by many roadtesters. Just keeping the basics like chain tension/condition, clutch plates in good unwarped order is about all you can do to keep it to a minimum. [:)]

I’ve just put mine back on the road after a couple of years and had quite forgotten how bad the transmission backlash is. It takes some getting used to when going from over-run to power on, especially on tight roundabouts. The upshot is the pleasure you get when you actauly achieve a smooth gearchange.

I have to say that I have ridden quite a number of modern fuel injected sports bikes, and their light weight combined with the snatchy on/off fuelling of their injectors is pretty poor considering modern advances in technology. They can be as jerky as any VF I’ve ridden.

quote:
Originally posted by alexievf

I’ve just put mine back on the road after a couple of years and had quite forgotten how bad the transmission backlash is. It takes some getting used to when going from over-run to power on, especially on tight roundabouts. The upshot is the pleasure you get when you actauly achieve a smooth gearchange.

Further to my earlier post. I replaced the tyres this week, as after 10 years the old ones were starting to perish. Whilst the wheels were off I found quite a lot of play in the cush drive. Just pushing it round with my hand, about 1 or 2mm back and forth measured at the outer edge. New rubbers from David Silver ordered and put in yesterday. This has made a major improvement to the transmission snatch and the bike is really very much nicer to drive.

The new Metzler Lasertec tyres are a major improvent to the way the bike feels as well. I had Avon Radials on before and never really liked them, even when new.

Next job, new cooling fan temp switch and an over ride switch. I’ve been meaning to do that for ages. Alex