Valve noise and clearances

If a valve clearance was .21mm instead of .14mm would this cause a valve noise as revs rise but not at idle?
At this gap would there be any noise at all or does the gap have to be much larger to have a noise?

I would have thought at that gap you would be hearing a tick, in all honesty best way is to set the clearances to the correct gap and see if any noise you have disappears, I think running a gap that big will increase cam and rocker arm ware…

1 Like

Pete’s certainly on the mark. The factory sets these specs for a reason. You are running at almost twice the setting and yes the noise will get louder at higher revs because the tappet is hitting the cam and the valve harder and more often, the higher the revs, the higher the strike rate, the higher the noise. Were there’s noise there is usually wear and tear. these are old motors and you should look after them.
John.

Hi Downunder, I had a ticking on my VF after rebuilding the engine and I removed the rocker covers to check the clearances and they were fine. I later discovered that it was one of the rear exhaust pipes leaking where it connects to the head. After I replaced the copper exhaust ring the noise disappeared. I diagnosed the problem by jamming some rag around the suspected leak to absorb the sound. Don’t try this with a hot engine though the pipes get very hot. Im not saying that this is your problem but it may be worth investigating…

1 Like

Thanks for the input Neil. I will look at the exhausts as I am down to looking at any solution to find the noise. I have heard that the leaking exhaust sound is like a loose valve clearance?

1 Like