VF Dyno runs, anyone?

As far as I know, my bike is on first over size Pistons. No other real tuning has been done, Jets are standard but there is a K&N filter.

My seat of the pants Dyno tells me it makes much the same power as my old ST4s after it had a
Power Commander setup, making about 120 hp at the wheel, with about 78 ft lbs of torque.
Does that sound reasonable?

Has anyone done any Dyno work to establish real horse power figures?

Hi there,
I took my vf1000 intercepter to dynobike in Malton here in the uk, I had built the bike up from a scruffy looking monster so when it was done I wanted to see if the power still remained with it at 29000 miles. It was running great with no noises or smoke so all was looking good from my garage, on the dyno it picked up really well and sounded fantastic and at the end I was anticipating the outcome and was expecting a bad result, however the old girl was still pushing out 99bhp at the rear wheel so thats not bad for a bike that is advertised at 116 bhp from the motor, taking in to account the 10 percent loss in the drive train and the odd 29000 miles I was very happy with that, if I can find the print out I could put it up if anybody is interested to see it.

That sounds good.

What was the torque like?
Mine certainly feels very similar to my 996 engined ST4s, which made 113RWHP but with 78ft lbs of torque.

Hi Mate,
I have found the dyno print out for the vf, note the top line, the book torque states 63lbs the dyno reads mine at just over 65lbs.
The peak horses is down at what I remembered at 97 but still good as I have just read that the early fe or interceptor starts life with 113hp.
Also note the top speed of over 140mph when he shut the throttle off! I reckon it had a few mph left (not that it matters) but it just shows that these engines stay good and strong over the years (so long as the cams dont melt away) and with care and attention they can be kept for years to come.
Cheers.vf%20dyno

That looks very healthy. The AF ratio is particularly good. Smooth fueling is always good, beyond peak horsepower.

Mine has had a fair bit of engine work done, but more on the blue printing end of things than tuning.

It has a polished crank, balanced with weighted and balanced pistons and rods. It also has first oversize pistons so I reckon it is cheating a little bit, maybe nudging 1037cc, over the 998 of standard.

It feels very strong and as I said, is very reminiscent of my Diucati 996 desmoquatro engined ST4s. That had a filter, end cans and custom mapped PCIII with the aim of smooth delivery.