Vf1000.engine swap

Hi new member in Aus
My 84 1000F has a 84 1000R SC16E motor is this unusual?
Apparently it’s an 84 R motor which was the only one to fit the F frame does this motor have the gear drive cams as later models
Just passed rego check and is for sale in Aus motor quiet and strong

Yes it is unusual.

84 (F&R) frame differ from 85/86 frame (F&R). It is easier to put 84R instead of 85F engine in your frame. So you have gear driven cams, but the ones from early series. From 85 onwards the cams (and head) were wider so they dont fit into 84s.

The direction of shifting gears is opposite from R and F

Axel

1 Like

Gooday Peter,
there have been a few similar bikes around the east coast here over the last few years. Recently, about 18 months ago, there was one same colour around NSW Central coast for sale by a guy going overseas.
Yes gear driven cams, then in 85 both the 1000R and the 1000F motors went to better designed and wider head design. Despite what some people say, some R models also experienced camshaft/ rocker issues. Is your front wheel 16 inch? I probably don’t need another VF, but curious, if you’d like to PM me with details, cheers
Greg

Hi Greg yes it is a 16" front I bought the bike as a covid project site unseen from Newcastle was a bit untidy last reg was around 2008 by date on tyres
Rebuilt carbs put red white blue kit in tank sourced back brake, put kit in clutch master, Slave good replaced spark plugs and leads with copper fom Tri Spark, clutch plates removed cleaned replaced all as new, has original exhaust in excellent condition, wheels also look as new 73k on speedo all electrics work, fired up first start blew some rubbish from pipes but cleared ,idles nicely motor nice and quiet
Paint is not so good last owner resprayed but not very professional all plastics good as is seat,waiting on new fuel sender,all fluids replaced except front forks at this stage,will have CBR1000 rear shock for it plus full set doner carbs
I am now 74 and cannot ride these type of bike just like to bring them back to life
Looking for$3300 which is what it owes me
Also has new Battery and other stuff has pink slip and club rego to follow
Regards Peter 0408429951

1 Like