Vf1000F 84 1-3 exhaust cam removal

Thanks!!

Also, if you need them i have 2 x chains for these motors at home, never used as i never rebuilt the lump i bought them for. More than happy to discuss letting them go at a sensible price. They ARE intact, and unbroken so you’d need to split the lump to fit, or get master links for them.

Splitting the lump is no option, but splitting the chains and rejoining isn’t so easy without the correct tools and risky with it, are your chains in the packaging with exact info on them? have to find a masterlink for precisely that chain, if i go for it i only need one, is it a 219H 122L DID? … what do you want for one? i’m in sweden too so P&P.

On another note!! anyone tried starting a VF without the cam cover on? … after you have the pipes running overhead, how much spray do you think there would be … just on tickover 15-20 seconds … would be one way to locate the noise in the top … without getting the noise travel … stupid idea?

Hi pete … i took off the cam cover and started the engine (no oil everywhere) … the chain is definately slapping against the top guide as thought, and as far as i can see you were correct about the tensioner locking mechanism plate not really getting past/over the groove on the bar, turning over the motor for hand i can see both bar and locking plate moving back and forth, i ordered those Ebay parts you refered me to and they are on the way to me, there were two tensioners there so i should be able to make one good one out of them, will do a spring mod on it to, move the spring anchor pin further up to give more tension, hopefully this will do the trick … i understand why you call yourself vfpete (vf god) :slight_smile: thank you for all your help … update you later.

God… that is so embarrassing. ??? The vf God is automatically put on your profile by the forum… It’s to do with how many postings you have made… There are loads of people on here who know far more than me…I myself have only ever com across one dodgy tensioner on my own bikes… so I don’t think they are the big issue that people make them out to be… if I was you I would just examine the shaft/pin for grooves or ware, if there isn’t any I would just use them as they are… its highly likely that these have come off a bike that has been broken for other reasons…

Ha!! sorry about calling you that :slight_smile: … does seem to be many people talking about the tensioners, maybe i will do as you say, check it, if okay just throw it in there :slight_smile: how many vf’s have you had? now i have opened up this one without any problems i might have a look at my other vf and see why it’s ticking when warm, sounds like valves to me, but that will be another day.

I have 4…
A vf1000 fe that I have owned for about 25 years. That’s had 2 major engine rebuilds, cam failure first time then con rod and crank second…runs and sounds mint now.
A vf1000 ff/fe special that I built basically from scratch…
A vf1000 f2f boldor that I’m just in the process of rebuilding.
And a vf1000ff that will be my next project…

Mmm!! a few then … what is the difference between FF & FE … both mine are F’s.

hi,
i think yours will be what we in the uk and europe call the fe, 1984/85, in america it was known as the interceptor, the basic differences between these and the later models was its 16 inch front wheel, shorter cam shafts,

The ff which was produced from early 1986 had a 18inch front wheel, longer swing arm, modified frame and some susspension differences, wider heads and longer cam shafts, …

the f2 boldor, was basically a ff but with a full fairing,double head light, the engine was basically the the same but with an oil cooler and double oil pump, clutch and primary drive sprockets were different,
All the cooling systems were different access all the models

Thanks for the info, got the parts from home here from the UK, the two tensioners seem okay, no grooves in the locking bar, just the metal is polished ca.5-7mm where the plate has worn a little, better than the one i have, i know someone who will do the spring mod for about 20 quid so it might be a good idea to do it whilst i have it out, the springs must be pretty knackered by know anyway … the parts were 34 quid and free p&p so it was worth it i’d say, think it would cost that in just p&p anyway, got a lot for the money. … let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Thanks pete for all the help, the tensioners i got were in pretty good shape, i modified the tensioner, moved the spring anchor pin forward about 10mm … and back on the road! YaaY!! :slight_smile:

well done mate, another vf on the road is always good news

:slight_smile: