VF1000F & FF Parts Swapping Assistance

Hi Guys,

I found a 84 VF1000F about two years ago that had been sitting in a guys shed unused for most of its life. 40,000 Original Kms on the spedo, all original without a scrape make on the pegs to be found.[:p] The paint was slightly faded and it had a small dent in the top of the tank where it had been hit in the shed under the cover. It had been 8 years last time out of the shed, but fired up at least twice a year by the previous owner.

I did the usual things like new battery, liquids, oils etc but was let down by the electrics which had been sitting too long and needed the starter rebuilt, starter solinoid renewing, high tension cables renewed etc. But this was only the start of the problems.[:(]

The motor always sounded good and was very crisp when the electrics were sorted, I went on a few 20-30 Km rides around the area just incase before I ventured away from town. My first ride (two up) with my daughter 150 Kms, I started to push a few of the younger guys on newer model bikes and found my VF getting very hot (temp gauge) so I backed off and took it a bit easier. The temp guage came down just above half way. When I pulled up in my driveway I noticed coolant overflowing from the bike (about 1 litre replaced). I found the thermostat was only opening 2-3mm at best not letting enough coolant to pass.

Next time out went 6 Kms down the road and back and when I pulled up the bike faultered and stopped as I rolled into the driveway.
I noticed when starting it back up there was a faint metal slapping sound comming from the motor. [:(!] When this was looked into by my local bike mechanic it was found to be one of the conrod big end bearing journals on the crankshaft. Which has done enough damage that a build up and grind is not recomended.[xx(]

So six months later I’ve picked up a good cheap VF1000FF 85 model.
Its been down the road on its side bad enough not to use the fairing again but everything else seems quite good. The motor has 63,000 Original Kms on it and starts first time everytime. Sounds quiet as it has recently had new standard mufflers replaced on it.

MY DILEMMA [?] As the original 84 VF is the better looking bike condition wise, so I really need to know what is changable for model to model? Motors look simular but could the crankshafts be exchanged if I wanted to keep the original motor? The 16" and 18" front wheels & forks are they interchangable etc. Are there any modifications to be done whilst the parts are being swapped?

Any assistance before work gets underway and mistakes are made would be apreiciated.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

Hi Paul,
I’ve got an FE and a dismantled FF so I know a bit about interchangeabilty.
I don’t know about the cranks themselves, but if your FE engine is blown I’d leave that alone anyway – as you’ve got a FF ( better cam brgs anyway - align-bored ) However the FF engine wont’g go into the FE frame and the rear FE plastics won’t go onto the FF rear subframe without a bit of modification. BTW I agree the FE bodywork is much better looking than the FF , particularly at the back !!.
I’ve put FE plastics onto FF frame by grafting the rear section of the FE frame on to the FF frame – an easy bit of cutting and welding basically.
Another tip is the FF wiring loom appears to be the same as the FE (apart from the CDI units) but also the clocks are different -( again I think the FE clocks are nicer than the yellow FF ones )so sticking with the FE wiring loom is simpler.
If I think of anything else I’ll let you know – good luck.
BTW in Aus especially I’d fit a cooling fan overide switch to pre-empt any build up of temp in traffic etc – you’ve prob already done this !

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

PS
18" front whl has to go with FF forks because mudguard comes in wrong place otherwise but the headstock forks will fit FE frame if you go that way , again the better front end in my opinion both functionally and aethetically is the FE and it fits to FF frame headstock no problem.

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

quote:
Originally posted by kfrogzx7

Hi Paul,
I’ve got an FE and a dismantled FF so I know a bit about interchangeabilty.
I don’t know about the cranks themselves, but if your FE engine is blown I’d leave that alone anyway – as you’ve got a FF ( better cam brgs anyway - align-bored ) However the FF engine wont’g go into the FE frame and the rear FE plastics won’t go onto the FF rear subframe without a bit of modification. BTW I agree the FE bodywork is much better looking than the FF , particularly at the back !!.
I’ve put FE plastics onto FF frame by grafting the rear section of the FE frame on to the FF frame – an easy bit of cutting and welding basically.
Another tip is the FF wiring loom appears to be the same as the FE (apart from the CDI units) but also the clocks are different -( again I think the FE clocks are nicer than the yellow FF ones )so sticking with the FE wiring loom is simpler.
If I think of anything else I’ll let you know – good luck.
BTW in Aus especially I’d fit a cooling fan overide switch to pre-empt any build up of temp in traffic etc – you’ve prob already done this !

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

Thanks kfrogzx7 for the assistance,

But what’s the problem stopping the FF motor going into the FE frame? If I’m going to have hassles changing over the rear end plastics, I’d be better off making changes modifing the motor mounts etc wouldn’t I?

The more I look into the FF at the moment the more I dont like what I find. It looks a bit dubious to being original as the engine numbers start with SC16E-2001??? which don’t register on the specification sheet elsewhere on this site? And being bought site unseen off ebay and all, how do I explain this to the misses the motor don’t fit!!

So how would I find out if the top end of the FF motor (with better cam brgs) would bolt on the lower cases of the FE with the FF crank and con rods? BEST OF BOTH BIKES [:D]

Again any assistance would be apreiciated.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

The heads of the FF engine ( particularly around the cams area ) are much wider than the FE and wont fit between the frame upper spars near the seat. No real way around the one short of major frame bending welding !!
Measure them , you’ll soon see what I mean.
So even if the FF heads fit your FE bottom and they wont go in frame !
Good luck with the Missus, bikes are easier to deal with than wives in my experience !

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

quote:
Originally posted by kfrogzx7

The heads of the FF engine ( particularly around the cams area ) are much wider than the FE and wont fit between the frame upper spars near the seat. No real way around the one short of major frame bending welding !!
Measure them , you’ll soon see what I mean.
So even if the FF heads fit your FE bottom and they wont go in frame !
Good luck with the Missus, bikes are easier to deal with than wives in my experience !

Hadleigh,Suffolk.

VF1000FE & ZX7R

Hi kfrogzx7
Now I’ve stripped off the plastics and tank to see what lies beneath I see what the problems would be you described.

But to my surprise checking this mysterious engine number SC16E-2001668 it seems this motor was out of a VF1000R. Carbies are the 83A type as well.

Now I seem to have a new dilemma.
1xFE-84 mint condition requires crankshaft and conrods to get going,
1xFF-85 plastics in poor cond and motor doesn’t fit into FE frame,
1xVF1000R motor eng # SC16E-2001668 in FF frame running but needs good cleanup from ground up.

How do you tell the year or model of the R motor as the engine number doesn’t come up in the spare parts list under 85-86?
And could it possibly be an 84-R and fit into the FE frame?

Again if anybody can assist with their wisdom, Its appreciated greatly.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

Sounds like a problem I’d love to have – R engine is definitely the best !!
I’d keep R engine in FF frame and adapt it to take FE plastics etc if I were you — That’d be a great bike.

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

Well Paul you seem to have a fair collection of bits none of which want to match up.The sc16e engine however warrants close inspection.If the cam cover gaskets dont have two semicircular extentions on their lower face on each side then you have yourself an RE motor.The number starting with 20 rather than 21 would seem to indicate this from what I can find.UK,general European and French RE models were all fitted with VD83A carbs.Unfortunately my parts manualhas no details on the Aussie model.Give the motor the once over and let us know what you find.
regards BIF

Well bif,
Looks like you have done it again,[:D] I’m certain from your description there are no semicircular bits to be found. I’ve gone a little further and removed one cam cover and it does have the gear driven good bits in there as well. I’m baffled why the previous owner didn’t know what motor he had in this bike and why he put standard mufflers on to choke it. I have posted some photos of my FE when it was running and some of the FF in the shed tonight as I pulled off the cam cover. You will see why I want to get the FE back on the road due to its condition. Photo’s can be found at - http://paulf.phanfare.com/album/277770/372875#imageID=16727211
I’ll post some in the VF1000.com gallery when I can work out how its done!!
Well life’s looking a lot brighter now, as a good clean up and refit may get me back scraping the pegs and the missus off my case again.
Thanks again Paul F.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

All you have to do now Paul is pull the old motor fit the R lump and enjoy.I have checked out your pics and the motor will fit for sure.Keep us up to date with progress good luck
BIF

Thanks Bif,
Any little mods that can be done on this R lump before it goes back in? Or are they that bulletproof?

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

I’ve had a look at your pics too now Paul and I agree with Bif that you’ve got yourself a peach of an R engine that’ll slot into your FE frame etc no trouble.
I’m envious, and I wonder how much you paid for the FF because if the seller didn’t realise he’d got an R engine in it, and didn’t price accordingly, you prob got a helluva bargain ?!!!
I dream of that sort of result !!

Hadleigh,Suffolk.
VF1000FE & ZX7R

Hi kfrogzx7, Bought off Ebay 300Kms from home, sight unseen within the last 15 seconds of auction for $1525.00 Aus. And yes he didn’t know what he had or did I, until you guys greatly assisted with your knowledge. Once the FE up and on the road again I am making plans to get the FF up and running for a track bike. Recently fell in love with Phillip Island GP circuit on a ride day and want to do it now on the VF.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia

Hi Guy’s, Well here’s the latest in the saga of what’s been happening in the shed over our winter.

I finally dropped the motor out of the 85 VF which I had the delight in finding out the motor was actually an “R” motor and successfully fitted it to my original 84 VF-RE frame. I learnt a lot doing this and at times was quite frustrating which I just had to walk away and return to complete tasks when I’d settled down. I have to applaud the people tackling this on their own as it wasn’t easy at all to do.

I found the “R” motor I had removed had a lot of bits and pieces from other types and model VF’s fitted as different parts had been written on with a paint marker, like you would buy from a bike wrecker. The water too and from the motor had to be changed to the other side of the bike to suit the 84 VF cooling system.

Then there was the dilemma of which exhaust to go for, The motor had an original standard FF fitted which was quiet and quite constricting so I fitted the Formula “1” 4into1 system. The carburettor’s which came with this motor was also fitted as they were running on it when I bought it.
The tricky parts were having to download both workshop manuals for the FE and RE motors as simple things like the gearshift placement is totally backward when fitting up the linkage system standard to the FEs as the Rs don’t use the linkage system and opt for a direct rear facing gearstick. (Boy didn’t this cause grief)
Then there was the electricals !!! I had read that the firing order was different between the two motors, at this stage I had the motor in place and it was nearing completion so I really didn’t want to change wiring harnesses to suit a different firing bike. So I wired it all up as per the FE motor and hoped that the pulse generator would sort it out for me.

The original FE air box was relatively stock apart from 6 x 1" holes neatly drilled in the top of the lid, so again I put the air box from the FF back with the motor it was previously running.
The rebuilt starter from the FE was fitted as was the larger diameter power and earth wires to the starter as per the original starter upgrade.

Well with all new breather tubes, cooling system pipes and clamps and fuel line fitted I only had to turn it over a few times before it burst into life. As per usual there was quite a lot of burning smoke from all the painted parts and exhaust pipes. So after quite a few start and warm ups over the next few days all the exterior parts were fitted and today was test ride day.

Test ride day and with only 14kms (8 miles) around the block was good, all went well with no mechanical problems. Power was smooth and even but didn’t have the burst into life feeling it should have had. On the way back I opened it up to 180kms/phr but should have gotten there much quicker as my other 84 VF100FE at home would have eaten it. Again the “R” motor just didn’t light up as I would have expected it too. So more to do me thinks.
I’d like to thank Howard K for coming to my rescue with a good used crankshaft still fitted with the two con rods I greatly needed so the rebuild to the original motor can now take place,
He also has a couple of cases of red plonk he likes coming his was in return.

Will post some photo’s when the paintwork is done in the near future, and again thanks guy’s for your assistance and knowledge for this project as it now is rideable and not just a basket case like it was a year ago.

Paul F
N.S.W
Australia