VF1000F- more photos

46 Just jump start it and it always goes - sweet. I have owned it for nearly 30yrs fully serviced but don’t ride anymore. Should I do anything re fluids if I am not starting it like I used too?? Battery is not connected.

1 Like

If you do not ride it anymore you should donate it to me :wink:

Seriously though I would replace brake fluid if I would ride it as it accumulates water from the air and loses its properties after couple years. Engine oil also gets old. I ride my bike so I replace it even 3 times a season but rule of thumb says at least once per year.

Keep battery on trickle charger, it will last longer.

Thanks but I will probably keep it.
Fluids, if it is just sitting then no need to change anything. You don’t actually drain coolant, oil, petrol etc just leave it as is? is that correct?

As far as I know petrol just goes bad after a while and can damage the fuel system after a year of sitting. It contains ethanol which is the issue here. Long term if you do not run it over a year I would drain it dry.

Same for coolant, I would drain it completely as it comes in reaction with radiator. One of my bikes is sitting for over a year, coolant started to change color (you reminded me of this matter :),) already cause I failed to drain it.

If you run the bike once a year to operating temp all should be fine with all the fluids. Just burn the old petrol and replace it.

I know this is an old topic but there is some bad info contained in it. If you store the bike without changing the oil, particularly if you start it occasionally, then acid can form in the oil over time. All information you get from the manufacturers tell you to change the oil or the acid can effect the bearings etc. I am pretty sure that we do not have ethanol in all petrol in Australia, in some but not all. Just use petrol that doesn’t have Ethanol Petrol should not be stored in the tank or carbies because the tank will rust and the carbs will gum up. Coolant and brake fluid should be changed every couple of years because they both deteriorate over time regardless of being used or not. The old radiator guy down the road once told me that systems should be drained and flushed and refilled with distilled water and soluble oil, when storing, because the coolant acts like a rust eater over time. Believe it or not? Again, sorry for reviving this topic but did not want a newbie reading it and doing the wrong thing.