VF1000F Starter Motor

I was wondering if I could get some advise please?
I have a 1984 Honda VF1000F Probably called an Interceptor in the USA or a VF1000FE.
Because a replacement starter motor isn’t available for the VF1000F I have been advised to purchase a VF750 starter motor which I have part no SMU0100 from Arrowhead.
Is this starter motor just bolt in without any modifications to the bike or the starter motor? Also do I have to empty the engine oil and remove the oil filter?
Sorry to be a pain in the bum I’m new to the VF1000 thing and I need it explained to me like I’m a 5 year old :grinning: Thanks in advance.

Regards Tony

0 Likes

Hi Tony,is a like for like swap.it sits above the oil level so no need to drain,just undo the terminal and two fixing bolts and lever back toward the oil filter
Best regards Bif

1 Like

thankyou so much

Regards Tony

0 Likes

Hi Tony OR.
I may be in the same situation re the starter motor and would like to hear how it goes with the Arrowhead unit…I,m tempted just to use a refurb kit just to keep the bike the way It came in 1984 if I can. Do let me know if our American friends units upto the job… wishing you best of luck.
Tom

0 Likes

Hi Tom
changed it today the VF750 starter motor fits and works perfectly in the VF1000F the only thing is the spline on the VF750 motor is a tad shorter but it seems to engage the starter gear with no problems. The other thing the terminal is situated towards the rear of the starter motor so once you loosen the cable clips you can get enough slack to make it fit, I attached the cable last because its a little bit hard to engage the new O ring on the new starter motor.
No need to drop the oil or remove the oil filter with a bit of fiddling and a little bit of gentle persuasion it goes in no dramas.
I took mine for about 45minutes run with the headlight on, stopping and starting and waiting for heat soak to affect the new starter motor, I had absolutely no problems.
Apparently the VF1000 starter was pretty shit from new, it has only two brushes whereas the VF750 had four.
Good luck, let me know if you need anymore information

Regards Tony

2 Likes

Thanks Bif
fitted the new starter today with no real issues and so far it all works perfectly. Thanks for all your help
Regards Tony

1 Like