VF1000F Strip & Rebuild

Thanks for the comments guys, I’m hoping to spend a fair bit of time on it over the next couple of months (winter here) and (hopefully) have it running for the warmer weather.

Cheers

Very Nice looking job Planty, where are you based in Oz? I’m in Brissie, and have just got one finished - sort of. How do you post pictures on this?

This is truly awesome! Mine looks Nice,but i now know it’s just ordinary
Smithy

Hey Manwell, I’m in Pt Augusta in SA, if you check out the gallery section there’s a sticky on how to post photos.

Thanks fjrsmithy, I can’t say I planned to go this far when I first started but I kept seeing things that needed to be done and ended up with it completely stripped!

Cheers Guys

More bits on, slowly getting there.

I have my tank and plastics back from painting now so I roughly fitted them just to see what it looks like, I’m really happy with the paint job and spent most of an afternoon goggling at it[:D]

looks superb planty, i can see there’s a lot of thought and attention to detail gone into that, the end cans look brill.

pete

Quality,looks the dogs.

Well the day I’ve been waiting for has finally arrived, started the bike today and went for the first ride!

Went really well with no problems, sounds really great, Crooky’s stainless collector and the Delkevic cans give it a real deep thump.

Kept the revs below 4K as it needs some running in, but it pulls like crazy to that point,can’t wait to see what it will be like to open it right up!

Just waiting for a couple more bits to arrive and I’ll have the front fairing on and will post some more pics.

The missus reckons I look like the bloody cheshire cat, grin ear to ear![:D]

Looks great Planty. I too have one of Crooky’s stainless collectors. What model Delkevic can did you get and what modifications were involved with fitting the exhaust system?

Really pleased you like the bike now its done.It looks superb,them cans are better than the ugly stock ones.

quote:
What model Delkevic can did you get and what modifications were involved with fitting the exhaust system?

I ended up getting a kit for a Blackbird as it had all the clamps and two lengths of stainless pipe, wasn’t much more than getting two seperate mufflers.

http://www.delkevic.co.uk/?section=shop&bike_manufacturer=honda&bike_model=cbr_1100_xx_19962009&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_hl3s5&product=350mm_stainless_steel_oval_silencers&variant=2_x_oval_350mm_silencers______s.r.e._stainless_steel________cbr1100xx_blackbird_96-06

Best price I found was through Ebay and from Delkevic USA, to fit them I cut the link pipe down and angled the two pieces till it was where I wanted, got a mate to tig weld them.

If you have access to a good exhaust shop they could probably just bend up a pipe to suit, which would be easier.

I’ve been for another ride with only problem being leaky radiator cap, so a new one is on the way.

Photos coming soon![:)]

Bike looks great! Very nice job.

Cheers!
Chris</font id=“red”>

Hi I have a question. Did your bike come with the letters from Honda on the Fairing “A” on the right side and “H” on the left side or did you have it done that way? Mine came with all of the Honda name on the tank itself.

170239725_10222298012633537_5291698834031959969_n

Hi, I think it’s the difference between the US ‘Interceptor’ model and the Australian and European VF1000F model, My bike has a US Interceptor seat on it, with the 1000 on the side, the original seat I have is just a plain color with no numbering.
I do prefer it all on the tank as it does look slightly awkward spread onto the fairing.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hello, I am also in the process of restoring an '84 F & '85 FF. Very much interested in what the exhaust collector arrangement is? Tied in pairs, front/back or 1,4/2,3? Cheers, Andy

Great thank you.