vf1000r engine in vf1000f frame

hi all

finally had enough of the rattling on the vf1000fe so have bought a vf1000rg engine. i am sure somebody has done this before and may be able to point out any pitfalls. thanks.

garyb

There is a topic in US forum: http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=42184.0 ,you need to register to see the pictures.
I am planning that too, a -85 R engine is coming to Finland, but it should be easy task to put that engine in F2 frame, I hope.

Hi Gary,
I may be wrong but don’t think the vf1000rg engine will fit the vf1000fe frame without alteration to the top left frame rail.
The vf1000re engine is a direct swap apart from changing coolant pipes around.
The vf1000rg has a wider cylinder head casting, modified by honda with increased cam bearing surface area and line bored bearing surfaces.

The heads appear to have been changed with the introduction of the vf1000ff / vf1000rf.

Still if you are handy with the welder it can be done … was a positing on VFRd forum with pictures and a few dimensions which may be of help.

Regards
Vfcrazy

thanks eveyone, i have looked at the american link you posted and a lot of the work he did, is standard on my frame. the lug he welded onto the removable frame spar to support the front cylinder head is there and the left upper part of frame has the sharper angle as shown in his photos. so fingers crossed it may go in. does anybody know if there is an issue with the cdi units?

garyb

Hi Gary,
sounds like you’ve got a vf1000ff frame, these already have the extra brackets to support the front cylinder heads etc.

If it is a vf1000ff frame the vf1000rg engine should fit without any alterations.

Just found the link to the vfrd page:- http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47830

I know the cdi units are different between vf1000f and f2 don’t know about vf1000r models.

Regards
Vfcrazy

Hi Gary,

I’ve got a VF1000RE motor fitted into a VF1000FE frame and is running well.
I was concerned that I had originally bought a VF1000FF motor and couldn’t fit it into the frame for the reasons posted above. (frame mods etc)
The electrical system of the FE won’t support the RGs so you may have to get a hold of a complete wiring loom and re-fit it. As it worked out the 85 VF1000FF I purchased had the 84 Vf1000RE motor and was running the FF electrics and I’m not really sure how they worked it out.
At the moment the RE motor is in my FE frame and running the standard FE wiring and I’m still finding out that I can’t hit red line on the tacho for the R motor cause the FE electrics have a built in REV LIMITER in the ignition ignitors only allowing it to rev to 11,500RPM not the 12,500RPM.
Another problem is the gear shift, I used the FE’s linkage unit and when fitted it was selecting the gears back to front. Up 1 - Down 4. The selector operates the opposite way round on the RE G/Box. I had to turn the lever on the spline downward to make it shift in the standard pattern.
But I have to admit the VF1000RE motor is bullet proof and it has been on the race track twice now for a track day and advanced race rider course last weekend. Later this month it will be on the best track in Australia at Phillip Island for another ride day…Cant wait for that one to come around… I have posted photo’s of the motors and bikes back some time ago on this site may be worth looking at or you can get in contact with me if you like at (pandtfindlay@bigpond.com) Hope you get it sorted and have as much fun as I’m having on mine…

thanks paul

bike started first time! but will have to wait a few days before test riding her, needs a new battery and the usual tax, mot and insurance. not to bothered about the gear change, i used to race a few years ago and both my racing bikes had reverse gear shifts, it helps to change up gear mid corner. will have to wait for the test ride to find out about the red line. will let you know what happens. time for a well earned couple of beers i think.

garyb