Clutch slipping

Hi everyone I’m still here looking for answers my last post was no headlight and with the help of Tony and other members we got the beast up and running. However I have a new problem with the VF1000 - my clutch is slipping. When I start the bike and before she warms up the clutch is working fine, but when it reaches normal temperature the clutch starts to slip in every gear. I do know the clutch shares its oil with the rest of the engine and the oil I have in is castrol GTX SAE 10W-40 anti-sludge formula. I really didn’t know whether the clutch slipped before as I bought the bike late last year and just now I’m trying to ride. Has anyone had this problem with their bike before and was there a fix other than a new clutch pack change?

Thanks Terry

Hi everyone I.m still here looking for answers my last post was no headlight and with the help of Tony and other members we got the beast up and running? However I have a new problem VF1000 my clutch is slipping, when I start the bike and before she warm es up the clutch is working fine but when it reaches normal temp, the clutch starts to slip in every gear’ I do know the clutch shares its oil with the rest of the engine and the oil I have in is castrol GTX SAE 10W-40 anti-sludge formula I really didn’t know weather the clutch slipped before as I bought the bike late last year and just now I’m trying to ride, has any one had this problem on there bike before and was there a fix other than a clutch pack change.

Thanks Terry

Just so I don’t through any curves in here, the temp, here is 32c today’ so I took the bike out for quick run up the road it started slipping almost right away nothing more to add

Hi,
Are you talking about normal Castrol GTX which they manufacture for cars etc. because if so this could be your problem. You should be using a motorcycle specific oil as modern car oils contain so many anti friction additives they are not suitable for wet clutches in motorbikes, and frequently cause clutch slip problems. You may get away with draining it and refilling with a proper 10W-40 Motorcycle oil. Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by hydra2172

Hi everyone I.m still here looking for answers my last post was no headlight and with the help of Tony and other members we got the beast up and running? However I have a new problem VF1000 my clutch is slipping, when I start the bike and before she warm es up the clutch is working fine but when it reaches normal temp, the clutch starts to slip in every gear’ I do know the clutch shares its oil with the rest of the engine and the oil I have in is castrol GTX SAE 10W-40 anti-sludge formula I really didn’t know weather the clutch slipped before as I bought the bike late last year and just now I’m trying to ride, has any one had this problem on there bike before and was there a fix other than a clutch pack change.

Thanks Terry

Just so I don’t through any curves in here, the temp, here is 32c today’ so I took the bike out for quick run up the road it started slipping almost right away nothing more to add

quote:
Originally posted by CoastRider

Hi,
Are you talking about normal Castrol GTX which they manufacture for cars etc. because if so this could be your problem. You should be using a motorcycle specific oil as modern car oils contain so many anti friction additives they are not suitable for wet clutches in motorbikes, and frequently cause clutch slip problems. You may get away with draining it and refilling with a proper 10W-40 Motorcycle oil. Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by hydra2172

Thanks Terry

Hi Coastrider
Thanks for your comments’ You bring up a valid point, I was hoping someone would confirm that, and what I may have put the wrong oil in the bike its just unreal, I will go out tomorrow buy the right oil and a filter from a bike shop they may advise on which oil for the vf1000.

Terry

When I first bought my bike I used motor oil for cars and the clutch slipped, I changed to Valvoline Durablend 10W40 and now it slippes only under a lot of pressure in fifth gear, I´ve heard that is normal on the original clutch.

Best to all

Gunnar

Thanks Gunnar

I'm changing my oil today as soon as one of the bike shops open and I can get in for the oil. I will let everyone know what is the result.------- OH when I was looking for some info on oil's for the VF1000 I came across this article put out in 1984' its good reading.
               Terry

Source Cycle World 1984

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_vf1000f%2085.htm

Getting back to the slipping clutch issue - I drained the existing oil including the oil filter, left it overnight to fully drain, went to a motorbike shop not too far from my place and I asked for the oil Gunnar recommended. They didn’t carry that brand of oil; the oil they recommended for my bike is Motul 5100 4T. So I got home and filled the engine to the proper level, took it for a ride about 30k and there was still slippage less than before. I could get by if I just wanted go through the gears at low RPM, but that’s not what this bike was designed for. I’ll leave it until tomorrow and maybe the new oil may impregnate the cork or Kevlar on the discs as the engine was fully warmed up. It’s all trial and error - I do hope it’s not going to be the rip and repair. I’ll be back with more new soon.

Terry

Change the clutch plates if its still slipping.Mine was slipping above 9k and the more miles i did it began to slip at 6k.Changed the plates today and problem solved.The plate i took out hardly had any upstands left and the Aluminium location slots on the outside touched if you put two friction plates together when the friction pads should hold them apart.

Alan
It sounds about right’ is there a place you bought yours being money wise, and which gaskets do I need.

Terry

I bought a pattern clutch plate set and clutch cover gasket from Wemoto in th UK.It cost about £65.00 in total.You do need a special tool to undo the clutch nut as its a castle nut and recessed so you cant get to it.I run an engineering company so made one in 15 mins.
The hardest part was scraping 25yr old gasket off of the faces.

Hi Alan
would you have the details of that special tool I could have it made here.
Terry
Hi Alan
Managed to get the clutch pack out, Didn’t need that tool’ thanks any ways

If the correct oil has always been used then there should be no reason for the standard clutch to slip. My R has done 24k now on the original clutch and it has just as much bite now as its always had.Not a hint of slip even gunning it hard into the red or making it work hard in high gears at low speed.

Hi Andy
I have just pulled the clutch out, took about 35 min. The pads on the friction disc are barely raised; I haven’t measured the height as the vernier I need is at work. The steel discs look good, no scratches or discolouration. I have ordered the friction discs only. As I have the whole clutch apart, the cup spring looks good but I will check the height on it also. The bike has just under 55,000km on it, I think it runs real strong. Hard to tell until the clutch works better - will let you know.

Terry

As of yet I still have not received the friction discs I ordered, yes - from slowbay, some 11 days ago. I’m becoming more & more anxious every day wondering what if it’s not the friction discs that’s the problem; however I hope to know soon.

Have some confidence Terry!! It will be fine. With the wear on the plates and the unwanted oil additives soaked in, that will be the problem. Don’t forget to check the clutch spring free lengths while its in bits though.
Best of luck.
Andy

Well finally today the friction disks came in; however the kit only had a qty of six disks in it not the qty nine as required. I bought them from this site which shows nine in the picture so I never questioned it. I’m now questioning with the darn guy I bought them from; not sure if he will send the three or not. And I’m not sure if I can mix and match if I buy them independently, or use three of the existing ones - would that be possible? Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200450551292&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi Terry,

He should send the rest as it says 9 in the description, if he doesn’t lodge a ‘item not as described’ dispute with Ebay, that’l get him hopping!

Thanks Tony
Nice to here from you, I’ll do that right now’ I hope it was just an honest mistake.

This is quite easy you just tell him you will feedback him negative and he will probably send the rest, I tryed it in asimilar case and I got me thing very soon, the sellers are afraid of negative feedback.

Best to all
Gunnar

Thanks Gunnar
I have sent three e-mails, two through eBay and one to his personal; The darn thing is, it took over two weeks two get them. Things will be very grim if I must wait two more weeks, but we’ll see.

Terry