no headlight

Hi, new member here. need help I’m here in Canada ready to ride however the headlight and highbeam will not come on nor the rear side lights; all other lights are fine including signals. The fuses in the fuse tray all good, not sure what else to check.

Honda 84 vf1000f

Thanks Terry

Hi Terry,

First guess would be the headlight switch itself, if you can open it up and have a bit of a look also spray with some type of electrical cleaner.

Does the tail/rego plate light work?

Where about’s in Canada are you?

quote:
Originally posted by 900F

Where about’s in Canada are you?

Hi 900f I live in Ancaster Ontario,I'm from Gateshead, UK, moved here some years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by planty

Hi Terry,

First guess would be the headlight switch itself, if you can open it up and have a bit of a look also spray with some type of electrical cleaner.

Does the tail/rego plate light work? (yes)

Hi Planty Thanks for your reply' Plate light works fine and i did open the switch, not much to see - a half steel bushing on the lower side and three screws on the upper side that i did snug up a little. Sprayed electrical cleaner let dry and reassembled no headlight.
               Terry

It looks like the circuit runs from the fuse straight to the headlight switch, if your tail light is coming on when you operate the switch you must have power through it.

I think it then runs through a couple of connectors with a branch to the tail light and another to the high/low dimmer, from there down to the headlight itself.

It could be a wire broken somewhere, dodgy connector plug or in the high/low switch or headlight socket itself. Also check all your earth (negative) connections on the headlight and frame.

You might have to remove the front fairing and follow the wiring through, checking as you go, a multimeter would help you there as you could check voltages.

If you download the manual there is a circuit diagram in the back which will help you work out which wire colours you need to follow for the headlight.

Good luck![:D]
Planty

quote:
Originally posted by planty

It looks like the circuit runs from the fuse straight to the headlight switch, if your tail light is coming on when you operate the switch you must have power through it.

I think it then runs through a couple of connectors with a branch to the tail light and another to the high/low dimmer, from there down to the headlight itself.

It could be a wire broken somewhere, dodgy connector plug or in the high/low switch or headlight socket itself. Also check all your earth (negative) connections on the headlight and frame.

You might have to remove the front fairing and follow the wiring through, checking as you go, a multimeter would help you there as you could check voltages.

If you download the manual there is a circuit diagram in the back which will help you work out which wire colours you need to follow for the headlight.

Good luck![:D]
Planty

Thanks again Planty will dig in deeper I'll get back to you.
             Terry

Hi Planty
Well I said I would dig in deeper, well I have, and I think with some “help” I have found where the problem is. I did as you said, downloaded the electrical sch, and found some guy who knew how to read it. The headlight switch has three wires white,blue,and blue/white; the blue/white wire goes over to the start switch, yes the start switch, and I guess it works like when the start switch is pressed it will shut off the headlight to not consume power; when the start switch is released the headlight resumes. I tried cleaning this start switch but nothing doing so I tried pushing the switch towards the centre of the bike and with the ignition on the headlight came on. It looks like the contacts have worn out or the switch is somehow loose inside the housing but no matter what I do I cannot make the light come on normally. And I do not know how to remove the start switch it sure don’t look good - any ideas? Terry

Hi Terry,

You must have a more modern type of switch in yours, my starter just has a black (from the kill switch) and a yellow/red.

What colours do you have running into and out of the start switch? If you have the black and yellow/red as above that is for the starter (same as mine), if you have the blue/white running into the starter switch you should also have another wire running out of it to the headlight.

If you have, use a piece of wire to short across the terminal points on the start switch where these two wires connect, basically bypassing the switch section of the starter for the headlight.

If that works you could then remove them from the switch and permanently join them together bypassing the starter completely.

Let me know how you go!

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony
Must be nice to have your whether you get in Australia I’m little jealous as we can only ride six months in the year here in Canada; Anyway’s I had to take off the hole wright side switch assy’on Saturday it was just before I got your latest info; you are Absolutely right to jump the blu/w wire; but I causde some damage when I broke a piece off the push button switch and now a little further back’ but you know it’s may be a blessing as I think this switch is repairable even if’s Bakelite. The contacts are fried and so is the body but I think with some care I can rebuild the switch button and keep it original. you know Tony as soon as I find out how to show photo’s on this site I will send you or e-photo you the bike.

Thanks Terry

At least you know where the problem is now, which makes it easier. If you keep an eye out on Ebay you may find a replacement.

I get to ride about 9 months of the year, it’s too bloody hot in summer here (South Australia)averages around 33-38C over Christmas, sometimes up to 45-46 C. Winter is around 12-15 C at the worst but usually sunny days.

Here’s one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Schalter-Startknopf-Notaus-HONDA-VF-1000_W0QQitemZ120321866209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorrad_Kraftradteile?hash=item1c03bdf9e1

quote:
Originally posted by hydra2172

Hi Tony
Must be nice to have your whether you get in Australia I’m little jealous as we can only ride six months in the year here in Canada; Anyway’s I had to take off the hole wright side switch assy’on Saturday it was just before I got your latest info; you are Absolutely right to jump the blu/w wire; but I causde some damage when I broke a piece off the push button switch and now a little further back’ but you know it’s may be a blessing as I think this switch is repairable even if’s Bakelite. The contacts are fried and so is the body but I think with some care I can rebuild the switch button and keep it original. you know Tony as soon as I find out how to show photo’s on this site I will send you or e-photo you the bike.

Thanks Terry

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d047629351&view=att&th=1280e8f386be00cf&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

Hi Tony thanks for the link to Germany, that switch is not quite the same as mine.However I think the link I’m about to send you will show the one I have, And further to that I may have located one here in Ontario, Cost is a little steep $60.00 + shipping & taxes but what can you do"
My switch
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d047629351&view=att&th=12802a9291aa5108&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_g81vwf7v1&zw

My bike with 53,000k
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d047629351&view=att&th=12811c1c965c0feb&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_g862ppvh0&zw
I think I will use my old switch as a back-ub.

Terry

Hi Tony
I would like to thank you for all your interest and help regarding problems surrounding my bike, your advice and suggestions sent me to places ordinarily I would have not ventured as a bike mech., but I’m trying. The start switch I rebuilt using auto body filler, it seems to be working fine. There is one thing though, the bike doesn’t seem to have the meat or juice I thought it would have. Back 25 years ago I thought this bike was quite quick, especially on the acceleration. Is there a way to find if the motor is running full strength.

Terry

I would think your bike isn´t running right, I bought mine two years ago
and I thougt it being my first street legal bike it was quite smooth and quite quick.
Last winter I found three torn diapragms and also the carbs where dirty as hell.
I got new set of carburetors and put them in and the bike is just amazing it pulls like a fright train and it doesn´t seem to stop
I´ve already seen 140 miles per hour on the meter and it was still pulling hard as hell.

Take a look at the diapragms.

Gunnar

Hi Terry,

No worries with the help, it’s good for the brain cells to try and nut these things out[:D]

I agree with Gunnar, the fuel system is the first thing to look at.

Check your fuel filter is not blocked and that you are getting good fuel flow to the carbys,(I think the manual has a section on checking fuel flow).

Next step would be to check the diaphragms, you will need to take off the chrome caps on the carbys, probably one at a time is best and check for holes in the rubber, watch the alignment of these when replacing.

If they all look good then you may have to remove the carbys and have then stripped and cleaned as there are many places for blockages to occur.

If the bike is not blowing any smoke when riding and otherwise seems OK its likely to be a fuel/carby problem.

Also make sure your air cleaner is not blocked up.

Here is a link with some info on the carbys, although its probably best to have them done professionally as they have special cleaning equipment for getting all the ‘nooks and crannys’ properly clean.

http://users.rcn.com/kochc/moto/carb/carb.html

Thank’s Gunner I’l check that out.

Terry

Hi Guy’s
Sorry about the delay getting back - I have been waiting for the air filter, got the gas filter and now both are on, but when I started the bike it felt like it was starving for gas. When I opened the throttle there were very few RPM’s, with or without the choke on, and it backfired a couple of times. I then thought the gas filter was turned in the wrong direction, but it was on the correct way. So I’ve taken the gas tank off to get rid of the old gas even though it only had preservative in it. Is it possible I’ve not put back a gas pump wire or something? Where is the gas pump so I can trace the wire(s)?

Thanks  Terry

Hi Terry,

Check out section 4-18 in the service manual for fuel flow check. The pump is under the left side panel behind the coolant tank/rectifier but it’s not necessary to remove it to check the flow rate.

If that’s OK it’s probably junk blocking the jets or sticky floats in the carbys, could be flooding as well

Mine was the same when I first bought it, no acceleration, backfiring, idle all over the place, the carby jets were mostly all blocked, floats were sticky it was amazing it even ran at all.

Have you had this bike long or did you just buy it recently? Any history on it, like had it been sitting for a long time?