Programmable ignition

New ignitech ignition arrived today, looks like a well made piece of kit

I need to get a serial to USB converter as my laptop doesn’t have a serial port and some electrical connectors the same as the original unit has so it can be swapped over with little fuss. The plan is to set it up using original pulse generators and then see if I can source some new ones so the entire ignition is new. Will post my progress as it happens.

Garyb

6 Likes

Garyb, not having a serial port is a pain, I found it more difficult using the usb to serial adapter, bike wouldn’t run properly while connected to my laptop, luckily my Dell had a serial port, and I could run and monitor what was happening, hopefully yours won’t be a problem.

I may have to dig out my old laptop specially for this job, I’m sure it’s in the garage somewhere.

Not as adjustable as yours Gary,these little guys will support COP as well as give up to 3 degrees of advance along with variable ignition curve and Rev limiter.image
Worth trying at £120 delivered
Regards Bif

I had a look at those and they looked good the only reason I went for the ignitech ones was the fact you can use different pickups than standard and I wanted to see if it is possible to use a complete new ignition setup after having my pickups fail. I’ve had no chance to do anything the last few weeks as I had to have my garage rebuilt due to subsidence and the bike and all my tools are in the greenhouse! Garage all finished now so can put everything back and remove engine to do the rings and gearbox then maybe I will get round to the ignition. I bought a pair of new pickups for a Honda four cylinder outboard motor and hope to make some adapter plates to mount them to original pickup mounts. Will post my progress as I go.

2 Likes

Update on ignition, fitted to bike no problem. Program recognised impulse type and started no problem, can’t test on the road at the moment as tank and fairing at sprayers.

Made a harness up so I could keep original wiring.

Screen showing advance and rpm

Screen showing available adjustments, not too sure what some of these do so will leave until I can ride bike again and in the meantime do some research.

Garyb

4 Likes

Looking good gary, I’m watching with interest, if we get to scotland this year and your pulling wheelies and spinning up in third gear… I’ll know you’ve got it sorted :+1:

The plan is to get it programmed and with the additional harness so anyone with the twin box system can try it for themselves and see the difference if any. Keep the faith, we will make it to Scotland! We may have to pretend we all live with bif and are one household.

Dont think we gonna pass as brothers on the account that your all over 6ft3, and I’m only 4ft 7 :joy:

1 Like

Have you never seen that scottish cultural masterpiece the krankies?

1 Like

Looking now for accommodation and routes in Scotland for this year.
July would seem to be a fair bet if that works for everyone.
I’m sure wee Nicky will let you all in by then

1 Like

These ignitions work awesome, used on my racebike (FZ750) I’ve set my spare up on my project VF1000/750 hybrid.

Going to fit this unit next week and run for a few days to see what it’s like then do a coil conversion to triumph Daytona cop coils. Think I’ll try them in parallel first with a short dwell time and see how that works then maybe try in series with a longer dwell though the reason for having low resistance coils is they charge quicker so the dwell can be low and when engine is at high revs they still have enough time to charge. Will post my results next weekend hopefully.

Garyb

Ignition installed and running, not going to upgrade to cop coils yet until I get this running correctly. The standard advance map starts at 10 degrees for 1k revs then drops to 8 degrees at 1.5k and starts to rise at about 2.5k increasing to 38 degrees at 6k. Tried this setting and found it had a flat spot pulling away from standstill at about 2k so going to take the dip to 8 degrees out of the curve and see if it makes any difference. I looked at the v4_spark website and the curve that it shows on his web page looks much steeper and does not have the dip at 1.5k has anyone any experience with either unit and can steer me in the right direction? Bif have you installed your v4 spark unit yet?

Weather a bit better today so took bike out again and found the flat spot and not being able to red lines being caused by petrol starvation, the sprayer had left a load of blast medium in the tank and me in my impatience just put petrol in and went out on her so I drained out tank and got most of the crap out and tried again. What a difference! The acceleration is crisp and responsive, was only using around town so couldn’t test if it will red line but I am so impressed with the running up to 6k. Can’t wait to go for a proper ride and this is with the stock coils and leads so maybe even better with the new cop coils. Before I put the new coils on I will see if I can do a video of the spark with the old standard ignition then with the ignitech one and then with the cop coils and see if there is a visual difference but as it stands there is a definite improvement.

Garyb

1 Like

Top work gary, well impressed :+1:

I’ve been doing far too much reading about it and not enough riding! After several ciders and the odd glass of wine I decided to try and fit a throttle position switch because apparently that makes a huge difference but upon sobering up this morning am now having second thoughts! That can be the next phase.

Gary

1 Like

Which ignitech unit did you get gary ?

The tcip4 for a vfr750, - ignitech programmable ignition SPARKER tcip 4-STD for Honda VFR 750 RC24/36 ' 85 | eBay
The price has increased by £20 now we have left Europe but still a good price.

Garyb

1 Like

Cheers gary :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Tried to fit cop coils yesterday, rears went in no problem but no way are the fronts going to fit without major surgery as the radiator fans are in the way. The only solution is to remove the fans and mount one fan centrally but due to the tendency to overheat that these bikes have I’m a bit unsure. I think that the best fan to retain is the one that sucks the cold air through the radiator and ditch the fan that blows the air through the radiator as it must be blowing hot air off the engine and therefore less effective. Any ideas welcome! Or suggestions of alternative fans from other bikes as the vf1000 fans are bulky compared to other bike fans. I’ve already fitted a nice little switch onto the right handlebar to override the thermostat so turning fan on at first sign of overheating is no problem in fact I may run with fan on all the time once engine upto temp.

Garyb