vf1000 fe

hi all, nice vf1000r paj, heres a link to some photos of my fe, not sure how to up load to this site, can any one help… http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/barnsleypete/DSCN0157.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/barnsleypete/vf1000-95.jpg

Oh bugger…that’s what mine was like…but now I’m going for the Red White and blue due to having obtained one half fairing and side panel and Tank all like new in that colour scheme…you have the same as PAJ’s too…I see a solution formulating before my very eyes…get another VF eh?..

Looks really well pete…MUST come and have a closer scrutiny if ya don’t mind…

Tim.

This time tomorrow it’ll be yesterday

hi tim, thanks for sorting the photos.your welcome to come and have a look . i was also thinking of buying another fe…minght not go down too well though…mmmmmmm

well decided to get the old vf back on the road again this year, ive had it started up a few times over the last couple of years but other than that its been neglected, when it was last on the road the fork oilseals started to leak fluid all over the brake discs, had some intermittent electrical fault on the ignition system which turned out to be the pulse generators, and a leaky top rad,
Anyway thats all fixed now, MOT passed and insured ready for taxing at start of month,
Carbs need balancing and probably will need cleaning too, but will balance first and see how it goes before i decide to prise the them off.

A sorry looking vf, waiting fork seals

All back together, could do with a good clean though

Lovely bike that,I need to buy an Fe as all mine are FF’s or F2F’s.I would like to see how different the handling is with the smaller front wheel.

I had heard that the 16"wheel was a wee bit twitchy but after riding it last year I really like it a lot .Like an early CBR600f but more power and low end grunt.[:0]

Will be hitting the tarmac soon in June then off to see the MOTOGP at Silverstone for Me and MY Dad 80 this year.[:D]

Hope it stop’s raining by 17th June,need to remember my ear plugs[8D]

yeah, ive got to admit it does look good on the photos although close up there is a few rough edges on it, as for the handling ive not been on a ff so i couldent comment, ive never thought of the front end being twitchy, although its a bit skitish over the tarmac and pot holes that passes as roads these days, but thats more down to 1980 suspension than the 16 in front wheel.
Anyway got some road tax on it today, so just need a bit of nice weather now…it’ll probably rain till august lol

Bike looks great!
Have fun!!!</font id=“red”>

Hey VF Pete, congrats bike looks great and is the exact same colours as mine, very rare to see the FE in black/silver, I’ve only ever seen a few pics of them in this colour, so keep a hold of it gotta be only a handful of them in this colour in Europe. Here is mine.

PAJ - another VF Pete.

[quote]

Originally posted by PAJ

Hey VF Pete, congrats bike looks great and is the exact same colours as mine, very rare to see the FE in black/silver, I’ve only ever seen a few pics of them in this colour, so keep a hold of it gotta be only a handful of them in this colour in Europe. Here is mine.

hi paj, thanks… your fe looks in tip/top condition, i cant honestly see me ever parting with the vf, ive had it over twenty years now, for the first 5 or 6 years it was my only form of transport, rode it through wind/rain/ice even snow on occasions, yep a lot of happy times on that bike

Hi VF PETE,
Looks great and i love the trolley you use [:)] . If you dont mind, i wiould like to copy that?
It will make life easy working on front ends.

I will post photos of me 84 soon.

cheers.

quote:
Originally posted by pberkhoutxr630

Hi VF PETE,
Looks great and i love the trolley you use [:)] . If you dont mind, i wiould like to copy that?
It will make life easy working on front ends.

yep the trolly has been a absolute god send, its made moving the bike around in the garage so much esier especialy while its in pieces, to be honest the bike lives on ther all the time now,
The frame around the outside is made with 25x50mm box section, then a few 25x25mm cross members, making sure to get a few near the centre stand, as this is where most of the weight is, then just a few peices of flat steel to hold the 18mm plywood top in place,
I put 10 casters on, 4 of which had brakes, think they had a weight rating of about 35kg each.

well, just when i thought i was winning it all goes wrong, having had a few runs out on the bike it seemed to be holding back a little above 7500 rpm, so i decided to borrow my mates ultrasonic cleaner and clean and ballance the carbs, did a fantastic job, sounded nice and crisp,could back choke off straight away after cold starting.
So goes out for a test run, does 30/40 miles nice and steady, gets onto one of my local bypasses, thinks to myself ill give it some gas, gets half way down bypass in top gear then i felt bike loose a little power, looks down and the oil light was on, so pulls clutch in engine cuts out and a coasted to a standstill,
having got the bike home with the help of a nice man from the AA, takes the plugs out expecting to see a oily mess,no the plugs were burnt clean as if it had run out of petrol, checks petrol pump… not working (hence the loss of power) so puts a spare one on, started bike oil light went off but could hear something flapping around in engine, so drains the oil and removes the sump, the oil pump strainer is solid with bits of chewed up metal and a few peices of brown plastic.
So its engine out and split apart and see how much damage has been done, ive had a quick look at the top end cant see any signs of damage there on the cams.
Just hoping the oil strainer and filter has stopped all the tiny particles of metal going through every bearing in the engine, (unless the tiny particles of metal are my bearings…
there’s one thing for sure… if i didnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all.

Aw buddy, that sucks donkey balls! All that work to make it look sooooo nice. I guess the good news is, it still will look nice once you get the motor fixed.
Sorry about your bad turn of events. Hopefully you get it sorted out and back riding before too long.

Chris</font id=“red”>

yeh man, that does suck big time. sorry to hear about it mate.
hopefully it will be an easy fix.

thanks guys, got the engine out and starting to split it down, progress has been halted as ive lost my socket for undoing the clutch center nut, so off to halfords tomorrow for a 32mm socket to make another one.

That is one ugly mess. Hope it’s not too catastrophic inside. Cheers

yes its a catastrophe, thought i was going to be lucky when i pulled the crank case in two and saw the main bearings in good condition, then noticed the movement in the con rod bearing, my luck changed when i removed the bearing cap and half the bearing was welded to the crank.
not sure about my options now, look round for a crank with 2222 id numbers that will sit in my main bearings ok, or is it possible to have the damaged bearing surface of the crank re-ground

looking at the damage ouch[:0]
but take it to a good machine shop and they can regrind the crank
new shells to fit and a rebuild later ,NEW OIL and its back from the dead.
years ago I ran a Honda RS250 single out of oil commuting from Norwich to London and it nipped up 20 miles from my college.let it cool and away it ran carefully to Merton college(motorcycle repair course)
anyway the cam had melted but the boffin s there rebuilt it and reground it and it ran till I sold the bike 3 years later

ANYTHING IS FIXABLE IF YOU KNOW THE RIGHT MAN.[:)]

It don’t look too bad at all, take windysolar1’s advise and source repairs at a local engine rebuilder or machine shop. should be a lot cheaper than replacing the parts.
I would sell you my spares but who knows? maybe one day i might need them. let me know if you get stuck.

cheers.