vf1000 fe

Pete, I have a crank if you want to take a look at it? I have the shells for it but they may me mixed up now, although the numbers are different its AAAA-1111
Phil.
I’m also around through the day now[:(]

All is not lost Pete,if it is only the one journal,sep-kegworth.co.uk can metal spray and regrind to size.Regards BIF

You are gonna need a con rod too,we have a few in the store if you cant find one localy.Best of luck BIF

hi guys, thanks for all the advice, gonna take a few days to mull over my options, yep the con rod has also been toasted, which ever way i go i will need at least four conrod shells as the other 2 that share the same crank pin are showing signs of ware,(to be honest with the engine striped down this far i will prob renew all) luckily i think they are still available… the only slight problem i can for see is the conrod bearing identification numbers have worn off, but im sure this will be solvable

Hey Pete,vf1000f2 engine on a buy it now £75.00.That gives you crank/rod assy plus a modded gearbox.Use the primary drive and you get 70mph for 500 less RPM.Engine is in Pontefract,regards BIF

The engine is mine, petes seen it, would the FE engine benefit from adding the oil pump/sump/cooler from this model engine? Phil.

Keeping the oil a bit cooler wouldnt do any harm,but being half faired the FE doesnt hold as much heat around the engine as the BolDor so isnt strictly necessary.BIF

It may be worth doing then, I have the parts besides the engine on ebay, I’m considering fitting a full lower fairing at some point, that is if I push myself to get the mold made, Phil.

hi bif, thanks for the advice, i had seen the engine when i was down at phils, for some reason i thought the cranks were different on the ff’s,
with them having wider heads, (ah well… you live and learn), anyway got a crank and some conrods with good shells off phil, have ordered a gasket set, and need to get a few odds and ends off silvers, so should be making progress soon.

Good to hear Pete,keep us posted on your progress,best regards BIF

well progress has been a little slower than i thought, the crank i got from phil had the bigger main bearing surfaces, i did know this when i got it but took a bit of a gamble on the fact that the bigger crank is only 0.008mm bigger than the small one, and allowing for a little wear it might just fit, unfortunatly when i torqued both crank cases together it just nipped up too tight,
So ive taken both cranks down to s.e.p kegworths to see what my best options were, according to them the damaged crank is repairable, but the best and cheapest option is to polish the bigger crank down to same size as small one, so all being well should have that sorted this week.
So ive been busy doing a few other things, fitted new valve stem seals and re-seated the valves, honed the cylinder bores, bought 3 sets of NOS piston rings off ebay, getting the fourth off silvers.
Cleaned and checked the oil pump, which is all in good order, luckily the the strainer mesh has stopped all the metal particles from getting into the oil ways.
dismantled, cleaned and re-assembled the gears, will clean everything else as i assemble it when the crank returns…
So thats about it for now, unless i decide to tart the lower rad and engine case paintwork up.

finaly got my crank back from s.e.p on saturday and it looks just like new, whatever they use to clean there parts up must be good stuff.
so started assembling the pistons and con rods, new rings on each piston as my old ones were just on the edge of the servicable limit, normally i would have just put the old ones back but a few years ago i tested the compression which was a little low, so took the opertunity to change them now.
Got two pistons and conrods in position and conected to crank only to realise i hadn’t put the blinking cam chains through… (2 steps forward and 3 back)… i will have to start reading the manual more closely. lol.
anyway eventualy ended up with 2 crankcase halves ready for assembly tomorrow.

[/img]

If you had gearsbox disassembled, do not forget to align the oil hole in sleeve with hole in the axle, otherwise you find a problem when the gearbox locks up.

hi pekka,thanks for the reminder, yes i did have the gearbox disassembled, cleaned all the parts and re-greased on assembly making sure the oil holes on the sleeves lined up with the holes on the shafts…

the one that nearly caught me out was the oil hole on the conrod, i didn’t notice untill i had connected 3 of the conrods to the crank that some of the shell bearings had one hole in and some had two, so i re checked them and i had got one the wrong way around covering the oil hole in the conrod.

managed to get all the cylinder heads and cams in and set the valve clearances , having a little problem with the rear cylinders, when i turn the crank shaft anti clockwise,(direction of travel) when the rear exhaust valves are closing its creating a bit of slack on the cam chain between the two cam sprockets, my thoughts are that the cam chain tensioner is sticking or ive not managed to locate the slipper blade into its socket properly, so got to have a look at that tomorrow night,(3 steps forward and 2 back…lol)

IT LIVES… AGAIN. !!!.

finally managed to get bike started, was starting to worry a bit as i couldn’t get it to turn over, anyway i swapped starter motor for a spare one i had, turned over and started first time although the new starter squeals a bit ( i think it may be off another bike as the cable connector is at the other end) the water pump also started to leak out of the little hole underneath, lucky i had a spare one of those too, will be looking to see if both my old water pump/ petrol pump and starter can be refurbished.
Anyway a big thanks to all who have contributed advice and parts, hopefully it should run for another few years now,a word of advice to myself…“a little less enthusiastic riding, and stay off hemsworth bypass,you know its not good for you”

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/barnsleypete/?action=view&current=vf1000.mp4

done about 700 miles on the fe since rebuilding the engine, everything is running smoothly.
so this winter ive decided to give it a bit of a cosmetic overhaul,
just got the frame back from triple “s” powder coating today. was originally going to spray it myself but i couldn’t find anyone local to bead blast it, and didn’t fancy trying to prepare it myself, far too many nooks and cranys,

a few more bits on the bike, will feel better when ive sorted the center stand and got the front wheel fitted.

would love to know what that can is … Think my bol would look good with a pair of them on it , and probably sounds less pedestrian the the mivvi cans

yes radical you and me both, not a priority yet but could do with finding something a bit quieter than the cans i have, i feel like my ears are going to bleed when when riding in built up areas.

It Maybe noisy vfpete but atleast the dumb car drivers will hear you coming.
I need a new set of cans because mine are too quiet. (sounds a bit like a sewing machine.)